Old 03-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Hedging Questions

Hi

We have a boundary which is overlooking (we are higher up a hill) a
small new housing development and we want to grow a nice thick hedge for
privacy and obscuring as one of the houses is almost touching the
boundary and at an annoying angle too! We had originally thought about
hornbeam all the way down (the boundary is a verge leading quite a long
way to the end of a private drive). Then when we saw the house taking
shape and looming menacingly we then thought, "no, we definitely want
something thick, evergreen and quite tall" haha! We would just put the
evergreens as far as the houses extend and then put in some hornbeam and
possibly an area of mixed hollies at the bottom where the verge thickens
out so there will be a mixture of planting not just monoblock!

I've been looking at different options as we need to get this planted
soon so that it can establish this year. The conditions are fairly
windy but I don't think excessive, I believe the soil must be acidic as
there are lots of rhodies, azaleas and blue hydrangeas in our and other
gardens nearby. We could go for the much detested leylandii but I would
really prefer to get trees which are better behaved, can be left with
little trimming required and stop growing at about 15-20ft max *but*
don't take 15 years to get there! What would people reckon on the speed
and quality of growth of the 'Pembury Blue' or other similar columnar
evergreens - what would meet our needs?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Lynda
Old 03-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

Think laterally. What about buddleia, alternating with holly? The
former is very fast and can be pruned ad lib as the holly grows.
It may not be evergreen, but isn't bare for long, and grows to 20'
or so.

I can't guarantee it will love acid soil (though it seems to grow
everywhere), but holly certainly likes it. And holly isn't a very
slow grower. People with acid soils may be able to think of an
alternative to buddleia.

It is a mistake to try to combine permanence with quick establishment.
Plants don't grow like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Kay

In article , Lynda Thornton
writes
've been looking at different options as we need to get this planted
soon so that it can establish this year. The conditions are fairly
windy but I don't think excessive, I believe the soil must be acidic as
there are lots of rhodies, azaleas and blue hydrangeas in our and other
gardens nearby. We could go for the much detested leylandii but I would
really prefer to get trees which are better behaved, can be left with
little trimming required and stop growing at about 15-20ft max *but*
don't take 15 years to get there! What would people reckon on the speed
and quality of growth of the 'Pembury Blue' or other similar columnar
evergreens - what would meet our needs?

Any of this may fall foul of legislation if your new neighbours are not
happy about the hedge. Remember, if you are above them, the hedge will
feel far more overpowering from their side.
--
Kay

Old 05-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Kay
writes
In article , Lynda Thornton
writes
[...]

I understand the implications of high hedges and I don't want to cause
aggravation to other people just as I wouldn't want to be aggravated by
their actions. We are still open to suggestions and that is why I
wanted to avoid the use of leylandii (our neighbour next door has
already planted some leylandii along part of the boundary and if we
planted some it would be continuing along this line). I believe the
whole issue stems from loss of light and enjoyment of a garden caused by
a high hedge, anwhere from 6ft upwards. I might check with our local
Planning Officer about our particular situation as we would need a hedge
higher than 6ft due to the particular hillside circumstances along with
the issue of our being overlooked by this new house, which, although not
covered by any particular legislation as I understand, could be a factor
in allowing higher hedges than usual.

Lynda