Old 05-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Leslie

Default Butternuts

Hello,
this year I have grown Butternut from seeds saved from supermarket fruits.
The plants were very spreading and the fruits are seedless and of beautiful
texture.

Question
As I had to fertilise the female flowers to obtain the fruit why are there
no seeds in the fruits.

Just wondering, .............Leslie

Old 05-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Leslie" contains these words:

this year I have grown Butternut from seeds saved from supermarket fruits.
The plants were very spreading and the fruits are seedless and of beautiful
texture.

Question
As I had to fertilise the female flowers to obtain the fruit why are there
no seeds in the fruits.

May have been a F1 hybrid. Whether the seedlessness was built-in by the
seed developer, or serendipitous, I wouldn't know.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 06-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Leslie" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,
this year I have grown Butternut from seeds saved from supermarket fruits.
The plants were very spreading and the fruits are seedless and of

beautiful
texture.

Question
As I had to fertilise the female flowers to obtain the fruit why are there
no seeds in the fruits.

Just wondering, .............Leslie

Are you sure you HAD to fertilise the flowers?
If they are anything like ours they spread like mad and initially produce
masses of flowers that don't fruit. Just when you think you've wasted your
time you suddenly spot a massive fruit lurking under the leaves. Then
another ... until suddenly you've got a shedful and the neighbours smile
weakly when you try to offer them yet another...
Thankfully there are plenty of good recipes, and spicy squash soup (made
with home-grown Jalepenos) fills the freezer beautifully .....

Old 06-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Sue da Nimm" . contains these words:

Thankfully there are plenty of good recipes, and spicy squash soup (made
with home-grown Jalepenos) fills the freezer beautifully .....

Ah, frozen hot soup...

I molished eight pounds of bacon, garlic and jalapino sossijis.

BUTTERNUTS F Murtz Edible Gardening 3 25-02-2014 01:09 PM
BUTTERNUTS F Murtz Australia 0 23-02-2014 08:25 AM
free butternuts for planting William R. Watt Gardening 2 13-09-2004 10:05 PM