Old 10-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Plant Names can be facinating

Amazing where plant names lead you.

Newish neighbour has an old apple tree which produces good fruit and a
friend of mine who works at Wisley took a couple to work to try to discover
it's name. Came back to me a couple of days ago and said it's an
"Arthur.W.Barnes".

Quickly I find it was registered in 1902 by an N F Barnes from Cheshire and
one parent is Cox's Orange Pippin.
Then I discover there is a memorial to those that fell in WW1 in Chester
Cathedral with the name of Arthur on it. Further investigation discovers he
was a Captain in the 9th Bn. Cheshire Regiment killed on 11/04/1918 aged 32
son of Nicholas Friend Barnes and Elizabeth Barnes of Eaton Gardens and
Morris Oak, Eccleston, Chester. He is listed on the Tyne Cot memorial in
Belgium, a memorial to those who do not have an actual grave.
Finally I wonder if the father who grew the tree was the Head Gardener at
Eaton Gardens which still exist on the Eaton Estate in Cheshire.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 10-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Rod

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:01:17 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]

Hmm.........that address certainly looks like Eaton Hall Gardens.
Eccleston is one of the villages of the estate. I've just remembered a
guy who repairs some of our small machines lives in Eccleston, I'll
try asking him if he can shed any light.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Bob Hobden

"Rod" wrote in reply to me...
[...]

Thank's Rod I'll be interested to see if your repairer comes up with
anything.