Old 16-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Klara

Default jasminum polyanthum

I was given a jasminum polyanthum as a present last year. It has been
outdoors all summer, but now I don't know what to do with it, as I have
no conservatory. Does anyone have any idea whether there is a good
chance it will survive in the ground here in Sussex, on a Western wall,
perhaps with a bubblewrap around it during the worst of the winter?
Or is too hot indoors better?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 17-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Klara" wrote in message

I was given a jasminum polyanthum as a present last year. It has been
outdoors all summer, but now I don't know what to do with it, as I have
no conservatory. Does anyone have any idea whether there is a good
chance it will survive in the ground here in Sussex, on a Western wall,
perhaps with a bubblewrap around it during the worst of the winter?
Or is too hot indoors better?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

I would try against a west wall, if you bubble wrap, put some canes in to
keep it off the plant and allow air circulation, Also some loose mulch
around the base of the plant. Mine is not 100% happy outside as it is frosty
here and I do not have a good wall for it but it has never been actually
killed and reshoots after cold winters from the base (you of course lose all
the flowers when that happens)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Klara

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
I was given a jasminum polyanthum as a present last year. It has been
outdoors all summer, but now I don't know what to do with it, as I have
no conservatory. Does anyone have any idea whether there is a good
chance it will survive in the ground here in Sussex, on a Western wall,
perhaps with a bubblewrap around it during the worst of the winter?
Or is too hot indoors better?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

I would try against a west wall, if you bubble wrap, put some canes in
to keep it off the plant and allow air circulation, Also some loose
mulch around the base of the plant. Mine is not 100% happy outside as
it is frosty here and I do not have a good wall for it but it has never
been actually killed and reshoots after cold winters from the base (you
of course lose all the flowers when that happens)

Thanks, Charlie - I think that must be the best option, even with the
hard winter everyone is predicting. It must be a better option than in
the central heating indoors (though what with the price of fuel, it
isn't going to be all that warm in here either! ((
My kingdom for a conservatory...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 19-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Spider

Klara wrote in message
In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
[...]

Hi Klara,

My Jasminum polyanthemum is planted outdoors, about 12' from the house in
London clay. Being in Norwood, near Croydon, I am clearly nearer you than
Charlie, and I can confirm that you can keep your J. polyanthemum alive
through winter(s), but if you wait for flowers you will be disappointed. I
was! However, I am chuffed to find I can keep a 'once-conservatory-only'
plant growing outdoors.

I can't say that I particularly welcome our new 'greenhouse' climate, but
if it must prevail, at least I can hope for scented flowers on my Jas. poly.

Spider

Old 19-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Klara

In message , Spider
writes
My Jasminum polyanthemum is planted outdoors, about 12' from the house
in London clay. Being in Norwood, near Croydon, I am clearly nearer
you than Charlie, and I can confirm that you can keep your J.
polyanthemum alive through winter(s), but if you wait for flowers you
will be disappointed. I was! However, I am chuffed to find I can keep
a 'once-conservatory-only' plant growing outdoors.

I can't say that I particularly welcome our new 'greenhouse' climate,
but if it must prevail, at least I can hope for scented flowers on my
Jas. poly.

Spider

Hello, Spider -
that sounds promising (though I suspect in Norwood you're a few degrees
warmer than we are here). But, then, I'll have it right against the
wall, in the bubblewrap mini greenhouse suggested by Charlie, so with
luck that should make up for the extra cold. Is yours uncovered?
Every November I dream of warmer climes, greenhouse or no, but the
spring does seem to come earlier each year ... we may have those scented
flowers yet!
Klara
--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 21-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Dave Poole

In message , Spider
writes
My Jasminum polyanthemum is planted outdoors, about 12' from the house
in London clay.

.....snip...
ut if you wait for flowers you
will be disappointed. I was! However, I am chuffed to find I can keep
a 'once-conservatory-only' plant growing outdoors.

I've got one that has been established outside here for about 8 years
and it is rarely out of flower. It knocks the spots off ordinary J.
officinale both in volume and frequency of flowering. It has run
along a wall and fence for about 15 feet and is approximately 8 feet
high. It produces a good flush of flower in March/April followed by
intermittent blooming through to July, another good flush follows in
early August with intermittent blooming to November. If the winds are
kind, there is usually a respectable show in early December. Here,
it's only enemies are cold winds from the north-east, which can burn
the flower buds, but there are always plenty more to follow.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 21-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Klara

In message , Dave Poole
writes
I've got one that has been established outside here for about 8 years
and it is rarely out of flower. It knocks the spots off ordinary J.
officinale both in volume and frequency of flowering. It has run along
a wall and fence for about 15 feet and is approximately 8 feet high.
It produces a good flush of flower in March/April followed by
intermittent blooming through to July, another good flush follows in
early August with intermittent blooming to November. If the winds are
kind, there is usually a respectable show in early December. Here,
it's only enemies are cold winds from the north-east, which can burn
the flower buds, but there are always plenty more to follow.

That's it, then - don't need a conservatory, much better to move in
next-door to you! ;o)

Klara ... green with envy ...