Old 16-10-2004, 04:35 PM
peebody

Default Non Flowering Hydrangeas

Hi,
Can anyone give me possible reasons, why my two Hydrangeas did not flower
this year. They are in different parts of the garden one at the front of
the property and the other at the back. They look very healthy but no
blooms. These two are the ordinary type of Hydrangea and not the lacecap
which did flower as normal. The soil in the garden is clay.
thank you
Dani

Old 16-10-2004, 10:07 PM
JeffC

Dani wrote
Hi,
Can anyone give me possible reasons, why my two Hydrangeas did not flower
this year. They are in different parts of the garden one at the front of
the property and the other at the back. They look very healthy but no
blooms. These two are the ordinary type of Hydrangea and not the lacecap
which did flower as normal. The soil in the garden is clay.
thank you
Dani

Did you prune / remove the dead heads or cut them back last year ? If you
did then you may have removed the following years flowering stems.

If you need to control the growing habit of Hydrangeas, then I find it best
to cut the older woodier stems from the middle of the plant and never try to
take more than a third of the plant away. My Hydrangeas nearly always take
Umbridge and sulk the following year but they always pay back eventually!

As long as the plants look healthy as you say they do then I wouldn't worry
too much as next year they will pay you back double! I have experienced
Hydrangeas taking a "year off" before now for no reason.

Jeff
--
(remove the troll to reply)

Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)