Old 16-10-2004, 09:57 PM
DRD

Default Gardfen blower VAC advice

I need to buy one anm not sure of few things:

1. How much difference the watts make? i.e. 1800w or 2400w?

2. What is mulchies rating mean - i.e. 10:1 say?

3. How good are they for wet leaves?
Old 16-10-2004, 11:00 PM
JeffC

DRD wrote

"DRD" wrote in message

I need to buy one anm not sure of few things:

1. How much difference the watts make? i.e. 1800w or 2400w?

2. What is mulchies rating mean - i.e. 10:1 say?

3. How good are they for wet leaves?

1. Obviously 2400w is going to blow or suck at a greater rate than 1800w but
blowers are usually sold by their maximum volume moving capacity expressed
in metres cubed/hour e.g. 600meters cubed/hour or there maximun wind
velocity e.g. 130 mph. The best manufacturers can blow to a maximum of
around 750 meters cubed per hour.

2. If you normally fill 10 sacks with leaves when you use the brush and
shovel method then they claim the mulching element of their machine will
reduce this to 1 sack of leaves.

Personally this is a rather big claim, but I'm damned if I'm going to sweep
up all my leaves to see how many bags it will fill then empty them out again
and use the vac to see by how many bags it reduces it by! By what I see in
my machine the mulcing element in the vac is the fan blade which creates the
airflow and by using it on vacuum it just pulls the debris through this fan
thereby mulching it, this can only have the effect of :- a. damaging the fan
blade and reducing its power or b. cause an extra load on the motor and
burning or wearing it out quicker.

3. On vacuum....... no, infact I no longer use my blower/vac on vacuum,
epecially on wet or damp ground, as I spend more time than it is worth
unblocking the thing, plus as you vac the machine gets heavier and you need
to keep emptying it so often.

I find it best to blow all the leaves/debris into one corner then bag it up
from there. the more power the blower has the better it deals with wet
leaves.

Jeff

--
(remove the troll to reply)

Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)

Old 17-10-2004, 12:08 AM
James

"DRD" wrote in message

I need to buy one anm not sure of few things:

1. How much difference the watts make? i.e. 1800w or 2400w?

2. What is mulchies rating mean - i.e. 10:1 say?

3. How good are they for wet leaves?

You got a big garden or just lazy?

:-0

--

Ukjay

Old 17-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Franz Heymann

"DRD" wrote in message

I need to buy one anm not sure of few things:

1. How much difference the watts make? i.e. 1800w or 2400w?

2. What is mulchies rating mean - i.e. 10:1 say?

3. How good are they for wet leaves?

As side-line, but on topic: A short time ago Which or Gardening Which
had a review of garden blowers/vacs. Unfortunately I have mislaid my
copy of the journal, and now I also want to buy one. Is there a kind
soul amongst the urglers who will post some summary of the
conclusions, including price and supliers?

Franz

Old 17-10-2004, 04:43 PM
DRD

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

As side-line, but on topic: A short time ago Which or Gardening Which
had a review of garden blowers/vacs. Unfortunately I have mislaid my
copy of the journal, and now I also want to buy one. Is there a kind
soul amongst the urglers who will post some summary of the
conclusions, including price and supliers?

Franz

I normally read these issues in the local library and photocopy what I
need. Will try and pop into the local and let you know - unless u beat
me to it!

Old 17-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:09:39 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"DRD" wrote in message
.. .

I need to buy one anm not sure of few things:

1. How much difference the watts make? i.e. 1800w or 2400w?

2. What is mulchies rating mean - i.e. 10:1 say?

3. How good are they for wet leaves?

As side-line, but on topic: A short time ago Which or Gardening

Which
had a review of garden blowers/vacs. Unfortunately I have mislaid

my
copy of the journal, and now I also want to buy one. Is there a

kind
soul amongst the urglers who will post some summary of the
conclusions, including price and supliers?

Can't you access it via the Which? website?

I tried, but got negative answers every time.

Franz

Old 17-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

As side-line, but on topic: A short time ago Which or Gardening

Which
had a review of garden blowers/vacs. Unfortunately I have mislaid

my
copy of the journal, and now I also want to buy one. Is there a

kind
soul amongst the urglers who will post some summary of the
conclusions, including price and supliers?

Franz

I normally read these issues in the local library and photocopy what

need. Will try and pop into the local and let you know - unless u

beat
me to it!

You will certainly beat me to it. The nearest library which would
have "Which" is just short of 40 miles from here.
Many thanks for your offer!

Franz