Old 16-10-2002, 11:31 AM
Duncan Russell

Default Straw mulch

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
. uk...
'Kate',

Bruise and wet the straw, add some soil and other roughage to it and by
the time you need the mulch (in about eight weeks or so) it should be in
an ideal condition. By doing that you will have got some body into it
and consequently it will not blow away.

Pleased to hear that your fuchsias made it.

I have a large supply of straw and a goodly lump of fleece so I
think I will try both suggestions and see which one works the best.
Many thanks all
kate - looking forward to my fuchsia hedge :-)

Straw is really only a good insulator if you can keep it dry. It's great
round things like Musa Basjoo, again as long as it is kept dry.

Although having said that I did use it to protect numerous half hardy ferns
last year and they were all in the open an seem to have survived just fine.

Duncan