Old 16-10-2002, 02:27 PM
Dwayne

Default Strawberries?

"Zizz" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I was under the impression that I'd already asked this, but
I can find no trace, am I more senile than I thought?(:-)

I have some late strawberries coming on, they are a bit slow
and they have been in pots for some time, just cos I couldn't
find a permanent home for them, I've moved the pots into the
greenhouse to try to get them to ripen a bit quicker.

Can you build yourself a raised bed? All you need is 6 to 14 cm deep, half
a meter wide and long enough to plant them 1/2 meter apart. Fill your
frame work with 1/2 soil, 1/4 compost, and 1/4 sand that you have mixed up.
Fertalize each spring when they are ready to start turning green.

They have been sitting under a pine tree (ex Christmas tree)
for some time and the pots are covered in pine needles,
will this make a difference?

Yes, it should help them. I know people who raise them to sell during the
summer and they have mulched the strawberry beds and path ways between them
with pine needles. The needles provide some acid and strawberries seem to
like that. Good luck. Dwayne

Alan

sun ripened sweetness .... s'pose you could try borrowing a sun lamp to

try
and improve the taste ;-)
(joke!)

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
Strawberries Jack United Kingdom 4 27-03-2003 07:44 AM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 08:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 12:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 02:33 PM