Old 24-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Pam Moore

Default windrow or wingrow

On the Kew programme on Friday last, they were talking about their
wonderful compost heaps and I felt sure I heard AT say "WINGROW" for
the word I always thought was "windrow". One of the Kew guys called
it a wingrow too.
A quick dictionary check says I am right and there is no such word as
the one they used.......... or maybe I need my ears checked!
Anyone with the prog recorded who is picky like me might like to check
it back.
Others might like to tell me that life's too short to fuss about such
things, but as an ex-teacher I like things to be correct.

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Mike Lyle

Pam Moore wrote:
On the Kew programme on Friday last, they were talking about their
wonderful compost heaps and I felt sure I heard AT say "WINGROW"

for
the word I always thought was "windrow". One of the Kew guys

called
it a wingrow too.
A quick dictionary check says I am right and there is no such word

as
the one they used.......... or maybe I need my ears checked!
Anyone with the prog recorded who is picky like me might like to

check
it back.
Others might like to tell me that life's too short to fuss about

such
things, but as an ex-teacher I like things to be correct.

You're quite right. And I may have been misinterpreting what I saw on
the screen, but I didn't seem to see any windrows, anyhow. A heap is
not a windrow, and I thought they were showing me heaps.

OT: What upset me more was the disgraceful behaviour of that
disgusting man to his Japanese hosts when they offered him a rather
special-looking picnic. I hope he's banned from trips abroad till
he's learned some manners. I loved the tree man, though.

Mike.

Old 24-10-2004, 02:37 PM
David Hill

What I thought was so poor was the appalling way they were trying to scythe,
not so much cutting as beating it to death.
Used properly the corn should have been left in neat windrows; or winrows as
I knew them; with all the heads of grain lying the same way, not in jumbled
heaps.
Otherwise an interesting prog.

--
David Hill