Old 27-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

But, shirley, it'll be difficult to get the guts out once they're
dry?

I wouldn't have thought so. I'd have thought to a great extent they'd
peel away from the skin.

And how do you get the pill-box shape once the skin is no longer
pliable? The one "Aunt 'Nes" had wasn't orange-shaped any more, but
very much pill-boxoid, with a flat bottom, straight sides, and a
slightly domed top.

Put a (permeable) frame round it while it's drying
--
Kay

Old 28-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Stephen Howard) wrote:

diseases that onions are prone to...but then follows standard advice
not to compost diseased material unless you're sure your process will
deal with it.

You might not know the disease organisms were present on bought onions.
If you imported certain onion diseases into your garden, it could take
8 years to get rid of them.

That is the main reason why composting onions is not usually
recommended. The white onion rot spores are tough and will persist for
several years until another host crop is grown.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 28-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Stephen Howard writes:

| diseases that onions are prone to...but then follows standard advice
| not to compost diseased material unless you're sure your process will
| deal with it.
|
| You might not know the disease organisms were present on bought onions.
| If you imported certain onion diseases into your garden, it could take
| 8 years to get rid of them.
|
| True, but also true of diseases that affect other plants...brassicas
| for example.
| The same diseases could be bought in via seedlings too.
|
| Sooner or later you have to trust to luck and common sense.

Yes. The issue is made FAR too much of. Organisms that are
common and typically wind-spread are not an issue, as they will
arrive anyway. Ones without persistant, durable spores aren't,
either, as they will rarely transmit. This leaves a far smaller
number of possibilities than is commonly thought.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Mike Lyle
mike_lyle_uk@REMO VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

But, shirley, it'll be difficult to get the guts out once they're
dry?

I wouldn't have thought so. I'd have thought to a great extent

they'd
peel away from the skin.

And how do you get the pill-box shape once the skin is no longer
pliable? The one "Aunt 'Nes" had wasn't orange-shaped any more,

but
very much pill-boxoid, with a flat bottom, straight sides, and a
slightly domed top.

Put a (permeable) frame round it while it's drying

Yabbut...why is that better than hollowing the halves out first so
they can go onto a suitable former when they're pliable? If I were to
try it again I think I'd do both.

Mike.

Old 29-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
news
In article , Janet

Baraclough.
. writes

We don't compost citrus fruit material because it is part of

general
kitchen/household waste and except for delivered horse manure we

only
compost herbage, leaves, shreddings, soils etc. which have come

from our
own gardening.

I'm curious why you make that distinction, Alan. General kitchen
waste from shop-bought fruit and veg, is from stuff you ate. You've
already ingested any chemicals/preservatives which they contained.

So why don't you want to eat plants fed on compost made from
(bought-in) food which you've already eaten anyway?

Ideally in a fully organic system, one would consume only their own

or
other guaranteed organic produce. That is not feasible in practice
though so we buy some foodstuffs which may contain all manner of

nasties
introduced by commercial and intensive producers. Quite a high
proportion of the small quantity of kitchen waste we generate is

from
our own wide range of fruit and veg. and that is composted. Anything
else is disposed of onto the island in our pond for our resident

family
of moor-hens and other wild birds to have. They don't seem to mind!

To return to that horse manure you use: What did the horses eat?

Franz

Old 29-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

[...]

Yes, I can see that. Then you eat them. The bit I don't understand

is
why you'll eat what you call "nasties" yourself, but think their

small
remnants are too nasty for a compostheap to eat.

Janet, this whole business has very little in common with a scientific
approach. The more I hear of the organic growing fad, the more it
begins to take on the colour of a cult.

Franz

Old 29-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Kay

Kay wrote:

Put a (permeable) frame round it while it's drying

Yabbut...why is that better than hollowing the halves out first so
they can go onto a suitable former when they're pliable? If I were to
try it again I think I'd do both.

True. I think I'm losing my way here. My original suggestion of drying
it before emptying it was from my observation that pomanders keep a
perfectly smooth spherical shape while drying. You could saw them in
half afterwards and get a perfect match between the two halves.
--
Kay

Old 01-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Seb

Wanadoo wrote:
Could some kind person please explain why we do not add citrus fruit to
compost ?

Also what is the reasoning as regards the onion family ?

Is it any problem at all that citrus rind attracts swarms of fruit
flies? Although all fruit/veg wastes do.

Seb

Old 01-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Franz Heymann

"Seb" wrote in message
Wanadoo wrote:
Could some kind person please explain why we do not add citrus

fruit to
compost ?

Also what is the reasoning as regards the onion family ?

Is it any problem at all that citrus rind attracts swarms of fruit
flies? Although all fruit/veg wastes do.

No problem. They contribute their little bit to he composting
process.

Franz