Old 25-10-2004, 10:06 PM
tom

Default Compost bin full of acorns thanks to a squirrel

I have noticed that even though we cover our comp bin its full of
acorns. I think its due to a squirrel (grey) that we often see in &
around the bin.

Is it s problem (will i get loads of oak saplings growing out of my
compost?

Thanks

Old 26-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
tom wrote:
I have noticed that even though we cover our comp bin its full of
acorns. I think its due to a squirrel (grey) that we often see in &
around the bin.

Is it s problem (will i get loads of oak saplings growing out of my
compost?

No and yes, respectively. I have a similar problem with walnuts.
The composting will kill most, and the others will be mildly
annoying weeds - just pull them up and recompost them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Gary

On 10/26/04 1:11 AM, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
tom wrote:
I have noticed that even though we cover our comp bin its full of
acorns. I think its due to a squirrel (grey) that we often see in &
around the bin.

Is it s problem (will i get loads of oak saplings growing out of my
compost?

No and yes, respectively. I have a similar problem with walnuts.
The composting will kill most, and the others will be mildly
annoying weeds - just pull them up and recompost them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Or pot them and sell them at a farmers market or give them as gifts...It is
interesting to note that if you were to take a bunch of these acorns and pot
them intentionally...none would grow. But throw then in a compost pile and
bingo-trees galore!
Gary