Old 27-08-2009, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT(ish) - what would you do with two bin bags full of Rosemary cuttings?

Yesterday we were 'fettling' daughter's front garden.

This mainly concerned pushing dust around, but the rosemary bush in one
corner is rampant and was taking over the pavement and side passage so we
gave it a severe trim (it is now just huge).

So there we were, with three plastic bin bags full of the bits chopped off
the rosemary bush resting on the pavement waiting to be shipped away and
disposed of.

Nice Asian lady asked if she could have a few bits - "Of course, says I,
help yourself!"

Man from Siemens turns up late afternoon and whilst changing the gas meter
admires the rosemary and the cuttings and says "You could have a proper
little market stall there - it is crazy what they charge in the supermarkets
for just a few bits."

Obviously, I offer hime some.

He takes a few bits, and I say "Take as much as you like - take a whole bag
if you fancy."

"A whole bag?", says he, "Are you sure?".

"Take all three if you want." says I "We are only going to throw it away."

After some investigation of available space he takes two bags.

Now is he:
(a) Going to set up a market stall himself to sell rosemary?
(b) Going to dry it all and stock his larder?
(c) Going sheep rustling in a very big way this weekend followed by the
largest BBQ in history??
(d) Going to say to his wife/significant other "Darling, look what I got for
free today"! and get the response "You daft b*gger - what the **** am I
supposed to do with two bin bags full of rosemary??"

I really should have asked him what he was going to do with it all, but was
so thankful that someone else was taking it away that I didn't want to rock
his boat in any way.

I did poke a few cuttings into the newly fed and moistened soil but unless
there is regular rain I don't expect them to survive.

I do, however, still have one black bin bag full of rosemary if any one
wants it or knows why the guy needed two full bags.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 27-08-2009, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-27 09:56:49 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

[...]

Ah well, you see - what he's going to do is dry it, then his girlfriend
is going to add it to some good olive oil and rough salt and make
herself jars and jars of lovely bodyscrub....... Costs a fortune ini
the shops. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-08-2009, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

The thing is, if we have a lot of something we think it's of no value.
Look how much rosemary costs in the supermarket, both fresh and dried.
So dry it in your microwave, have enough until the end of your life, and
sell the rest at work.
Especially if it's organic. Get some small zip bags and fill them with
dried organic rosemary (if it is, of course) and sell them for 75p.
If it isn't organic say so and sell it for 50p.

Tina

Old 27-08-2009, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "David WE Roberts" contains these words:

I do, however, still have one black bin bag full of rosemary if any one
wants it or knows why the guy needed two full bags.

Possible uses

pot pourri
scent room by burning twigs on open fire
flavour barbecue by tossing on embers
use in a home smoker (for ham, etc)
infusion makes a fantastic conditioning hair rinse for brunettes (use
in the final rinse)
dry twigs to scent linens

When I got rid of an overgrown rosemary bush , it was suggested to me that I
burnt it on an open fire to scent the room. The rosemary burnt well enough
but didn't scent the room at all. Which makes sense if you think about it as
all the products of combustion (smoke) should be going up the chimney.

I haven't tried the other ideas. My experience of pot-pourri is seeing
bowls of the stuff in sheltered housing schemes and similar establishments
so it's a non starter for me!

mark

Old 27-08-2009, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[]
flavour barbecue by tossing on embers

We do this very often. Does wonders for a grilled bass,
just at the end of cooking.

-E

Old 28-08-2009, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-27 23:44:56 +0100, "mark" said:
snip
When I got rid of an overgrown rosemary bush , it was suggested to me that I
burnt it on an open fire to scent the room. The rosemary burnt well enough
but didn't scent the room at all. Which makes sense if you think about it as
all the products of combustion (smoke) should be going up the chimney.

I haven't tried the other ideas. My experience of pot-pourri is seeing
bowls of the stuff in sheltered housing schemes and similar establishments
so it's a non starter for me!

mark

Dry it and use it as you would lavender bags in amongst bed linen. Or
put a few dried leaves into a bath.