Old 30-10-2004, 11:06 AM
hillier

Default freezing onions

with a good crop of onions, and knowing they will not all keep well does
anyone know how to freeze them please ?

Old 30-10-2004, 11:17 AM
JennyC

"hillier" wrote in message
with a good crop of onions, and knowing they will not all keep well does
anyone know how to freeze them please ?

Cut up and frozen 'loose' would seem to be the best option, but won't they go
soggy?

I've never tried it myself.
Jenny

Old 30-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Alan Gould

In article , hillier
writes
with a good crop of onions, and knowing they will not all keep well does
anyone know how to freeze them please ?

Onions are not considered suitable for freezing because they lose their
texture on defrosting and because other food in the freezer can be
tainted by their odour. We harvest our onion crops on a dry day, let
them finish drying for a few days, then hang them in nets complete with
tops and roots. They remain in good order until they begin to shoot the
following spring.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Sacha

On 30/10/04 19:59, in article , "ex
WGS Hamm" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip Nor have I but I have seen them in the freezer compoartments of the
food
wholesaler we go to, Bookers. It's the only place I've ever seen them and
that was only once. I'm hoping I find them again this week to use in the
Guy Fawkes hotdogs and hamburgers! ;-)

They also sell them in iceland.

Good! Thank you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-10-2004, 05:40 AM
Kane

"hillier" wrote in message
with a good crop of onions, and knowing they will not all keep well does
anyone know how to freeze them please ?

Try this site www.myveggiegarden.com follow the links to freezing veggies
it's all in there...

Old 31-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Phil L

hillier wrote:
:: with a good crop of onions, and knowing they will not all keep
:: well does anyone know how to freeze them please ?

You don't need to freeze them, they will keep fresh for months if you tie
the tops together with twine (about 4 or 5 large onions per tie) then hang
them somewhre dry, you can get onion sacks from your greengrocer - they are
netting bags and are perfect for keeping them dry.

PS:
Don't cut the tops off when harvesting them or they will 'bleed', making
them open to rot and mildew and impossible to dry - when I say 'dry' I mean
the outer skins and tops, the inner will be perfectly fresh even next spring
and into summer, freezing them will turn them watery and useless for
anything other than cooking with.

HTH