Old 02-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Alan Gould

Default Plant ID please

A friend in Worcs. sent me two seed pod heads of a plant he wishes to
identify. The plant grows among crops at a farm near to Evesham. He says
it has a yellow flower a bit like that of a cucumber and it grows to
about 2 ft. tall. The farmer says that it has appeared annually 'since
his father's day' and he thinks it may be a relic from a latterday crop.
The heads are oval rugby ball shaped, about 5cm./2ins. tall x 3cm./1.25
ins. dia. The shell resembles that of a young horse-chestnut, softish
mid-green pith lined flesh, very spiky and in four lateral segments.
Inside the shell are hundreds of tiny 3mm./0.15ins. dia. smartie shaped
seeds similar in colour and texture to that of chestnuts. The heads have
grown on stiff 0.6cm./0.25ins. dia. hollow fibrous stems. Leaf material
on the stems was too deteriorated to provide any detail.

Possibly in the Arctium or Cirsium families? TIA.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 19:11:38 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

[...]

Thorn apple?
Try putting that into Google images.

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

[...]

That would be my bet. As far as I know, it has never been grown
commercially, not even for rat poison.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Phil L

Pam Moore wrote:
:: On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 19:11:38 +0000, Alan Gould
:: wrote:
::
:::
[...]
iris pseudacorus var?

I've no idea about latin names or anything like that but they sound exactly
like the fruit of Iris ...is the feild waterlogged in places?
I noticed a few weeks ago while fishing that these 'bananas' split open and
drop their seeds into the water at about this time of year..the closest
picture I could find to the one's i'm thinking of, is he
http://www.pondplants.co.uk/images/p...acorus_var.jpg
and
http://www.sugarcreekgardens.com/IrisPseVariegata.jpg

Old 02-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
:: Pam Moore wrote:
:::: On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 19:11:38 +0000, Alan Gould
:::: wrote:
::::
:::::
[...]

The seed pods are like this:

http://www.waldhang.de/bilder/0109053.jpg

Old 03-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Pam - Thorn Apple, or Datura stramonium seems to be the most
likely answer. Most of the examples shown have white or bluish white
flowers but Sanders Enc. refers to a yellow flowered Thorn Apple -
Datura chlorantha, so that may be the variety in question.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:41 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Phil L
writes

I've no idea about latin names or anything like that but they sound exactly
like the fruit of Iris ...is the feild waterlogged in places?
I noticed a few weeks ago while fishing that these 'bananas' split open and
drop their seeds into the water at about this time of year..the closest
picture I could find to the one's i'm thinking of, is he
http://www.pondplants.co.uk/images/p...acorus_var.jpg
and
http://www.sugarcreekgardens.com/IrisPseVariegata.jpg

Thanks for the help Phil. The plant seems to be Thorn Apple.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:42 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Thorn apple?

That would be my bet. As far as I know, it has never been grown
commercially, not even for rat poison.

VERY poisonous indeed! One site suggests that the leaves can be added to
tobacco for smoking as a relief for asthma. A dead certain cure I'd say!
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.