Old 04-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Mike

Serving one gender before another is arbitrary and some women may find it
patronising.

Ladies of this newsgroup. Do/would you find it patronising?

Old 04-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Mike Lyle

Brian Watson wrote:
"Richard Sterry" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Richard Sterry" wrote in message

Personally I think the business of serving the ladies first is
rather dated, and I don't think it bothers most people, but I
really do not like being leaned across - it's just plain

ignorant.

There have been times when I have appreciated it.

Good point!!

Your trimming suggests I said "There have been times when I have
appreciated it."

I didn't.

Huh?

Mike.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Des Higgins

"Mike" wrote in message
Serving one gender before another is arbitrary and some women may find it
patronising.

Ladies of this newsgroup. Do/would you find it patronising?

I did say "some" and I said "may". I do not really care anyway as serving
one gender over another is arbitrary.
As I get older I too sometimes despair at how people behave but serving
women before men serves no obvious purpose that I can see.

I hold doors open for people and take it as a token of politeness if someone
does it for me (male or female).
That is a pleasant way to interact with others.

Old 04-11-2004, 04:12 PM
jane

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:04:12 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

~
~
~ Though I wish the Govt road safety campaigns would include road
~ manners and proper use of indicators!!!
~
~
~Come on, you will be wanting them to teach drivers how to use Mini
~Roundabouts next.
~
laugh

I live near Hemel Hempstead. If you can't cope with Mini Roundabouts
there, Darwin's principles of survival kick in!!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 04-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Mike

I live near Hemel Hempstead. If you can't cope with Mini Roundabouts
there, Darwin's principles of survival kick in!!

Try living on the Isle of Wight where the wrinklies are worried about going
over 25 MPH and when they come to an ordinary roundabout, they wait until
there is not a car in sight!! And as for following them and a there is a
bend ahead, the brake lights come on!! AND if another car approaches then,
then panic sets in and they have to have a man with a red flag in front of
them.

I have a wonderful way with Mini Roundabouts. I approach them with a
determined speed. If others have stopped, I go and give them the 'Royal
Wave'. BUT, I am ready to stop if required, i.e. a car/vehicle is 'moving'
from the right. But they are usually stopped with the 'After you Cecil', 'No
after you Sidney' syndrome kicked in.

And as for going "round" that painted white blob?????????????????? The mind
boggles.

Mike

Old 04-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Duncan Heenan

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

I DO live on the Isle of Wight - and it's all true!! However, I'm told that
it is part of the strategy to keep the 'overnors' away (the other part is
the Ferry fares!).

Old 04-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Mike

I DO live on the Isle of Wight - and it's all true!! However, I'm told

that
it is part of the strategy to keep the 'overnors' away (the other part is
the Ferry fares!).

So is that why we have continuous road works? Just to add to the frustration
and 'send them back'? And I suppose Plod is in on this with his ever present
zap gun?

Quite nice in Llandudno earlier this week, perhaps I should have stayed
there ;-)

Old 04-11-2004, 09:39 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Mike" wrote in message
Serving one gender before another is arbitrary and some women may find

it
patronising.

Ladies of this newsgroup. Do/would you find it patronising?

Not necessarily, although in a large party I would hope that there were
enough servers to ensure my dinner wasn't cold by the time the chaps were
served. You see I consider it impolite to start to eat before everyone at
the table has been served.

Old 04-11-2004, 09:53 PM
JennyC

"Mike" wrote in message ...
Serving one gender before another is arbitrary and some women may find it
patronising.

Ladies of this newsgroup. Do/would you find it patronising?

It's nice when 'old fashioned' manners are used but I don't mind when we are
treated as equals :~)
Jenny

Old 05-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Mike
writes

I live near Hemel Hempstead. If you can't cope with Mini Roundabouts
there, Darwin's principles of survival kick in!!

Try living on the Isle of Wight where the wrinklies are worried about going
over 25 MPH and when they come to an ordinary roundabout, they wait until
there is not a car in sight!! And as for following them and a there is a
bend ahead, the brake lights come on!! AND if another car approaches then,
then panic sets in and they have to have a man with a red flag in front of
them.

Sounds excellent.

I have a wonderful way with Mini Roundabouts.

Trested the same as any other RB they are fine.

I approach them with a
determined speed.

Oh so you are one of those annoying people who you have to stop for even
if you have the right of way because you aren't sure if they are going
to stop, rather than carry on and ram you.

If others have stopped, I go and give them the 'Royal
Wave'.

I think it could be called arrogance, certainly rudeness, and this from
someone bemoaning the lack of manners....

BUT, I am ready to stop if required, i.e. a car/vehicle is 'moving'
from the right.

The vehicle from the right doesn't have to be moving, if they are ready
to enter the roundabout they have the right of way (after having stopped
to make sure of you're intentions.

But they are usually stopped with the 'After you Cecil', 'No
after you Sidney' syndrome kicked in.

So you stop and wait for the person who has the right of way to go.

I don't know the road manners of the older generation....
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 05-11-2004, 07:40 AM
Mike

So you ALWAYS stop at a mini roundabout and wait for the person on your
right to go?

Old 05-11-2004, 08:52 AM
jane

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:40:39 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

~
~
~So you ALWAYS stop at a mini roundabout and wait for the person on your
~right to go?
~
~
I stop if there's someone there already stopped. If after 4-5 seconds
they're still dithering and it's otherwise safe, I go.

I love driving but have limited patience with folk who drive in rush
hour at 35-40mph on the 60mph limit road I go on to work. Who has the
worse manners - those who pootle at 35 on the straight road when
there's a slightly longer but appropriate 30-40mph limit road running
parallel, or those who overtake and go whoosh?

I realise this is a point of view question - and a limit isn't a
suggested speed.

The really annoying bit is they're usually the folk who do exactly the
same speed in the 30mph sections at either end of the 60. I slow to
the limit after being stuck behind them for 4-5 miles and they pull
away!!!

Ho hum!
At least I have my stress relief to go and dig in...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 05-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Brian Watson

"jane" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:40:39 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

~
~
~So you ALWAYS stop at a mini roundabout and wait for the person on your
~right to go?
~
~
I stop if there's someone there already stopped. If after 4-5 seconds
they're still dithering and it's otherwise safe, I go.

....which is the safe and sensible thing to do.

--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing more to say

Old 05-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Sacha

On 4/11/04 21:39, in article , "ex WGS
Hamm" wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
Serving one gender before another is arbitrary and some women may find

it
patronising.

Ladies of this newsgroup. Do/would you find it patronising?

Not necessarily, although in a large party I would hope that there were
enough servers to ensure my dinner wasn't cold by the time the chaps were
served. You see I consider it impolite to start to eat before everyone at
the table has been served.

And you are correct. That is why the 'proper' way of serving a formal
private dinner party is to start with the lady on the host's right and then
continue with the host and so on round the table. Then the host can start
eating, encouraging everyone else to do the same. The hostess and the man
on her right are served last and as the hostess isn't supposed to finish
eating before everyone else has, all works well unless there is one
especially chatty guest and the poor hostess ends up toying with the two
peas and a carrot left on her own plate! This 'ladies first' thing is not
correct in a private house. Hotel service isn't the same as private service.
Even laying the tables is different, very often.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Mike

Piggybacking. I'd rather they bring out the food and serve it in the
order in which it comes out of the kitchen. That way everyone has a
chance to have their hot meal.

I find all these "ladies first" things annoying.

When I commented on the business of Ladies being served first, I was
actually talking of the table and those sat at it, be it 2, 4 or 6 people,
i.e. one couple, two couples or three couples. On the assumption that all of
the food is ready to serve to all people, whether the same food or from the
menu, then I feel that the Ladies should be served first out of manners,
etiquette or whatever you want to call it.

Mike

Manners 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 6 24-08-2011 04:05 PM
Manners 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 16 07-05-2009 06:05 PM
[IBC] ADMIN: LIST MANNERS (was: [IBC] Big Bucks) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 04:45 AM