Old 12-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Sacha

On 12/11/04 1:48 pm, in article ,
"Joanne" wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
I would think in the UK it gets dumped in the ocean.

That's right. Also, we can't buy jam or cheese here in the UK, (told to me
by a Canadian).

We had some Canadian visitors to the nursery during the F&M crisis. They
were all gardening journalists. One told us that her father had asked her
to find out if she could be inoculated against F&M and not to drink the tap
water. I asked her if she thought her father was calling her a cow -
luckily she thought that very funny!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Joanne

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
I would think in the UK it gets dumped in the ocean.

That's right. Also, we can't buy jam or cheese here in the UK, (told to

me
by a Canadian).

We had some Canadian visitors ..........One told us that her father had

asked her
to find out if she could be inoculated against F&M and not to drink the

tap
water.

Mind you, probably half the people in the UK think that Canadians wear check
lumberjack shirts (without high heels, suspenders and a bra) and live in
forests, and that Mounties wear red jackets.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Sacha

On 12/11/04 6:09 pm, in article ,
"Joanne" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
I would think in the UK it gets dumped in the ocean.

That's right. Also, we can't buy jam or cheese here in the UK, (told to

me
by a Canadian).

We had some Canadian visitors ..........One told us that her father had

asked her
to find out if she could be inoculated against F&M and not to drink the

tap
water.

Mind you, probably half the people in the UK think that Canadians wear check
lumberjack shirts (without high heels, suspenders and a bra) and live in
forests, and that Mounties wear red jackets.

Fer sher. ;-) I'm not criticising, believe me!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 12-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Joanne

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

Mind you, probably half the people in the UK think that Canadians wear

check
lumberjack shirts (without high heels, suspenders and a bra) and live in
forests, and that Mounties wear red jackets.

Fer sher. ;-) I'm not criticising, believe me!

You mean "Fer sher, eh?"

Old 14-11-2004, 01:49 AM
Gary

On 11/11/04 4:57 AM, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Gary
writes

Yes, and let us all know the results...I for one like to hear of more and
more recyclables being recycled...and not just dumped some place. In Canada
there are many restaurants that still throw the stuff into the garbage and
it goes to landfills. I would think in the UK it gets dumped in the ocean.

Why would you think we routinely dump our refuse into the ocean?

Hello Kay
It took me awhile to remember the details. It was an English chap, a
neighbour, who had gone back to the UK for a visit. He mentioned that his
friends...family? Did not recycle at all. And, perish the thought, did not
compost! Sacrilege!
It was awhile ago that he had mentioned this and I had forgotten all the
details. As I now recall, there was recycling going on but his
friends/family(?) did not. He was 'unhappy' about that.
Sorry, for remembering the 'bad' details and not the good. The good
being that opportunities are given to everyone in the UK to recycle.
And further: My personal feeling is that we in Canada are running out of
landfill sites...I can only imagine the problem(s) in the UK. Thus, 'look
out ocean...' I stand corrected.
There are times where a 'hard line' is required to get the desired
results. Our local government took a hard line with cardboard. Zero
tolerance for cardboard being sent to land fills. We now have bins for
cardboard in many locations. It is interesting to note that many
companies/people would still be sending cardboard to landfills if they
could.
I apologize for not remembering all the facts but get a map of the
UK...cut it out. Then place the UK map on the map of Canada. Then remember
that I feel Canada is running out of landfill sites. Maybe that will clarify
some things...
The bottom line is "We need everyone to compost/recycle...and more.
Gary

Old 14-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Gary

On 11/12/04 5:20 AM, in article , "Martin
Brown" wrote:

In message , Gary Davis
writes
On 11/11/04 12:20 PM, in article
,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

The message
from Gary contains these words:

I would think in the UK it gets dumped in the ocean.

I have been wrong so many times that it does not hurt anymore. Would you
be kind enough to enlighten me by teaching me just what/how the UK disposes
of its garbage.

Overall the UK is pretty bad by European standards, but still does not
throw stuff gratuitously into the ocean any more. Part of the problem is
the lazy slob like behaviour of a proportion of the population fly
tipping etc.

I already know that there are many things that cannot be
recycled in a positive way.

Even some of the things that cannot be recycled in a positive way are
best off separated from the generic landfill waste for heavy metal
toxicity etc. The rest ends up as landfill and we are rapidly running
out of space!

Incinerators tend to suffer from nimby problems and some were badly run
leading to all sorts of fume problems around them.

My own local council in North Yorkshire collects general garbage and
compostable garbage on alternate weeks (not entirely popular). They also
collect waste paper periodically at the kerbside too (today in fact).

They provide recycling centres and facilitate collection points for
glass/plastic/tins/old clothes at most large supermarkets. The best
local one will accept as separate waste streams:

Acids/Chemicals/Drugs
Asbestos
Cardboard
Dead batteries
Garden Waste
Glass/Bottles
Paper
Sump oil
Tins
White Goods
Wood

I may have missed some categories. They don't accept plastic bottles,
although the skips at a DIY store 500m down the road from them do.

That is almost as good a recycling scheme as on the continent. But
Hambleton Council are a lot better than most. I expect there is
something about their recycling scheme and environmental policy on the
website:

http://www.hambleton.gov.uk

Regards,

Martin Brown
Thanks for the info. It is hard to know who one is talking to on the
WWW. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify things. My thanks. I
haven't looked at the site above yet but I will. Again, thanks.
Gary

Old 14-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Kay

In article , Gary
writes
My personal feeling is that we in Canada are running out of
landfill sites...I can only imagine the problem(s) in the UK. Thus, 'look
out ocean...' I stand corrected.

Just because we are running out of landfill sites does not mean to say
we will therefore start dumping in the sea.

I do wish you had simply asked, rather than assuming. Strange as it may
seem, there are some of us who still feel that people in the UK are
fairly decent and have some moral standards left ;-)

--
Kay

Old 16-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Philip

Gary Davis wrote in message ...

Gary

Here is a 2003 document talking about waste collection and recycling
in part of Surrey, but not the part where I live. I live in Elmbridge
which seems to compare poorly in one of the tables in this document.

http://www.molevalley.gov.uk/media/p...20Strategy.pdf

The description of the waste management processes in this document are
accurate and have not changed much in the last year.

Recycling here is an opt-in process. General rubbish is collected
weekly so for most people there is no need to recycle. I would prefer
it if they changed to bi-weekly collection of general refuse,
alternated with collections of recyclables. That way people would
'need' to recycle in order to prevent their bins from overflowing.

Old 21-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Warwick

In article , =20
says...
On 11/11/04 12:20 PM, in article
=
,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:
=20
The message
from Gary contains these words:
=20
I would think in the UK it gets dumped in the ocean.
=20
Well, you'd be wrong.
=20
Janet.

Hi Janet,
I have been wrong so many times that it does not hurt anymore. Would =

you
be kind enough to enlighten me by teaching me just what/how the UK dispos=

es
of its garbage. I already know that there are many things that cannot be
recycled in a positive way.
Gary
PS: I have changed the 'subject' to one that relates to this topic...

I'll add in that as the representative for a corporation, we see=20
recycling as a cost offset. All paper is kept apart from the card so=20
that it can go for higher quality. Reject cans of product are cleaned=20
and sent back to the manufacturer of our cans. Plastics are seperated by=20
type and stored until we have a batch of a type that it is finacially=20
worth a company picking up.=20

Electronics varies. Old computers that aren't up to spec will be sold on=20
to employees for home use. If they break, we buy them back for a bit=20
less, fix them iff possible and offer them to charity. If it is deasd IT=20
stuff we sell it to reclamation folk who want the chemicals and=20
presumably gold to be found in there. We don't use refilled laser=20
cartridges, but we do give our to refill companies.=20

We slurry and turn into compost all bad product.=20

Costs.. is difficult to assess.

Savings is also tough. We're a company that produce over 3 million tins=20
of dog food per week, yet send less than a tonne of waste per month that=20
isn't recycled.=20

On the downside, we're not happy about the amount of water that we're=20
using and want to see what we can do to rerculate some more and reclaim=20
more of the stuff that does go into what is classed as industrial=20
sewage.

The various projects cut =A31,000,000 out of the profit last year, but we=
=20
expect to recoup that in savings over the next 5 years.

Warwick