Old 11-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france
Default roses flowering on old or new growth

I hope someone can help me as I'm about to order some bare root roses - which ones flower on previous years growth and which on the current year. And is it really essential to prune them as soon as they are planted out. Many thanks in advance

jay jay
Old 11-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Martin Sykes

"jay jay" wrote in message

I hope someone can help me as I'm about to order some bare root roses -
which ones flower on previous years growth and which on the current
year. And is it really essential to prune them as soon as they are
planted out. Many thanks in advance

jay jay

I think the pruning is essential for standard/shrub roses but not for
climbers or ramblers. Free standing roses tend to move a lot in the wind so
you need to cut them back hard until the roots have established or they'll
just fall over in the first breeze.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Pruning old roses and old grapes - help! tazmainiandevil Gardening 5 27-02-2010 01:13 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Old Growth Roses? Emil Roses 3 19-04-2003 05:32 AM
Old-Growth "War of Words" in New York Times Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 20-12-2002 02:50 PM