Old 12-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Registered User

Default Fence cover

Ive posted about a hedge solution but are there perhaps some alternatives.

I want a bushy covering of a north facing fence.

From my limited experience( very limited) everything just grows up the fence on to the top and over into the sunshine. Also in order to add height you need trellis etc and this seems to act as an additional sail for the wind to catch and blow the fence down. (hence the hedge)
Old 14-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdoctor
I want a bushy covering of a north facing fence.

)

CLEMATIS MONTANA

Will this grow on a north facing fence and provide some protection to the fence?

Cheers
Old 15-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Franz Heymann

"gasdoctor" wrote in
message ...

gasdoctor Wrote:

I want a bushy covering of a north facing fence.

)

CLEMATIS MONTANA

Will this grow on a north facing fence

Yes.

and provide some protection to the fence?

It depends on what you mean by "protection". If the fence needs
propping up, the montana will probably drag it down.

Franz

Old 15-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
gasdoctor wrote:

CLEMATIS MONTANA

Will this grow on a north facing fence and provide some protection to
the fence?

Well, it will, but it will climb over the top and flower up there.
And, as Franz says, it will probably bring a weak fence down. A
better clematis for a low or weak fence is C. alpina, which responds
well to being cut right down after flowering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered User

Any evergreen alternatives, that will cover the fence.

Im just exploring the use of vines/climbers to cover the fence and add some height instead of a traditional hedging plants

Thanks