Old 14-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Pam Moore

Default Olive hardiness

I've just listened to a gardening item on Radio Bristol, reviewing the
Groundforce garden set up in Weston-super-mare in memory of BBC
presenter Jill Dando whose 43rd birthday would have around now.
There is an olive tree which has small olives on it! Obviously its
proximity to the sea helps.
The garden sounds as though it is flourishing which is good.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:
I've just listened to a gardening item on Radio Bristol, reviewing the
Groundforce garden set up in Weston-super-mare in memory of BBC
presenter Jill Dando whose 43rd birthday would have around now.
There is an olive tree which has small olives on it! Obviously its
proximity to the sea helps.
The garden sounds as though it is flourishing which is good.

My understanding is that olives are one of the many plants that are
marginal in the UK, are more likely to die of fungal infection in the
winter than cold, and crop poorly because of the mediocre summers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-11-2004, 02:18 PM
PK

Pam Moore wrote:
I've just listened to a gardening item on Radio Bristol, reviewing the
Groundforce garden set up in Weston-super-mare in memory of BBC
presenter Jill Dando whose 43rd birthday would have around now.
There is an olive tree which has small olives on it! Obviously its
proximity to the sea helps.
The garden sounds as though it is flourishing which is good.

Pam in Bristol

I'm in SW london. My olive planted last autumn at aound 5/6ft has a few
olives this year and is now more like 7/8ft

pk

Old 14-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:18:39 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

I'm in SW london. My olive planted last autumn at aound 5/6ft has a few
olives this year and is now more like 7/8ft

Lucky you! I remember seeing the one in the Chelsea Physic Garden.
That must have survived there MANY years.

Pam in Bristol