Old 24-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:33:02 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it both
flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell is
deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies but
I'm very cautious....... ;-)

Sacha, I've come rather late into this thread but we bought and ate
myrtle jam in Corsica and it was delicious (and we lived to tell the
tale).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap
Old 25-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Rodger Whitlock

wrote:

Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it both
flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell is
deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies but
I'm very cautious....... ;-)

Sacha, I've come rather late into this thread but we bought and ate
myrtle jam in Corsica and it was delicious (and we lived to tell the
tale).

Elizabeth David's 1956 "Italian Cooking" refers to the Sardinians
using myrtle for cooking, contrary to Italian law. I can't remember if
it was the oil expressed from the seeds or boughs of leaves used a la
rosemary to scent roasting meat.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada

Ugni molinae Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 13 22-11-2013 10:49 AM
ugni molinae Pam Moore United Kingdom 3 02-04-2008 09:19 AM
Myrtus Luma / Luma Apiculata Han Chung Australia 0 17-05-2004 05:08 AM