Old 07-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Michael Savage

Default Xanthoceras - a rarity?

Hi all

I have tentatively identified (from RHS book and Google) one of the shrubs
in the garden as Xanthoceras sorbifolium. The RHS book says it is rare in
gardens...two questions really - are there any obvious things I could be
confusing it with, and is it really that unusual ? One reason for asking is
that it's growing against/among a rhody and if they were two a penny I might
thinking of pulling it out. Interesting bark though...

Michael S

Old 07-11-2002, 08:26 PM
CK

If you would give us a description of your plant, we might be able to help identify
if it is indeed Xanthoceras of something else....
Chris in Somerset

.. .

Old 08-11-2002, 09:26 AM
Michael Savage

"CK" wrote in message
If you would give us a description of your plant, we might be able to help

identify
if it is indeed Xanthoceras of something else....
Chris in Somerset

Michael Savage wrote in message
.. .
| Hi all
|
| I have tentatively identified (from RHS book and Google) one of the

shrubs
| in the garden as Xanthoceras sorbifolium. The RHS book says it is rare

in
| gardens...two questions really - are there any obvious things I could be
| confusing it with, and is it really that unusual ? One reason for asking

is
| that it's growing against/among a rhody and if they were two a penny I

might
| thinking of pulling it out. Interesting bark though...
|
| Michael S

OOPS!

The shrub is about 2m tall with many more or less erect stems, with rough
grey bark (popular with lichens). It has pinnate leaves, very like Rowan
(toothed leaflets), and white flowers about 5cm across (IIRC) with
yellow-brown blotches in the centre, in clusters/spikes. Flowered in about
June/July I think.

Sorry but I didn't take any snaps of it in flower and don't have a website
to post one on anyway...(yet)

Michael S

ps is there somewhere newsgroup abbreviations are listed? I can work out
most of them but some have me stumped - and I'm a Guardian crossword fan

Old 08-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Zizz

"CK" wrote in message
If you would give us a description of your plant, we might be able to

help
identify
if it is indeed Xanthoceras of something else....
Chris in Somerset

Michael Savage wrote in message
.. .
| Hi all
|
| I have tentatively identified (from RHS book and Google) one of the

shrubs
| in the garden as Xanthoceras sorbifolium. The RHS book says it is rare

in
| gardens...two questions really - are there any obvious things I could

be
| confusing it with, and is it really that unusual ? One reason for

asking
is
| that it's growing against/among a rhody and if they were two a penny I

might
| thinking of pulling it out. Interesting bark though...
|
| Michael S

OOPS!

The shrub is about 2m tall with many more or less erect stems, with rough
grey bark (popular with lichens). It has pinnate leaves, very like Rowan
(toothed leaflets), and white flowers about 5cm across (IIRC) with
yellow-brown blotches in the centre, in clusters/spikes. Flowered in about
June/July I think.

Sorry but I didn't take any snaps of it in flower and don't have a website
to post one on anyway...(yet)

Michael S

ps is there somewhere newsgroup abbreviations are listed? I can work out
most of them but some have me stumped - and I'm a Guardian crossword fan

http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylo...WNewgroupAbbre
viations.html
http://www.unbsj.ca/library/research/lingo4.htm
http://bovis.gyuvet.ch/3dict/390ainet.htm
Are a few sites I found in a quick search on google for some abbreviations,
acronyms, smileys etc!
HTH
I'll be learning a few more methinks ;-)

Old 08-11-2002, 11:32 PM
CK

Is this what your plant looks like ???

http://www.manntaylor.com/plantweek2b.html

If it is this, it is not exactly common!!!
In fact it is pretty unusual I would have thought in the UK.

Chris in Somerset

| If you would give us a description of your plant, we might be able to
| help identifyif it is indeed Xanthoceras of something else....
| Chris in Somerset
|
| Michael Savage wrote in message
| .. .
| | Hi all
| |

Old 11-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Michael Savage

"CK" wrote in message
Is this what your plant looks like ???

http://www.manntaylor.com/plantweek2b.html

If it is this, it is not exactly common!!!
In fact it is pretty unusual I would have thought in the UK.

Chris in Somerset

(snipped)

Thanks Chris...it *could* be, but there's something about the flower that's
not quite right...ah well, maybe I'll just have to wait till next year and
sort myself out a way of posting photos by then.

Incidentally, it's turning some lovely colours and forming nice healthy buds
so maybe I'll keep it after all...

Michael S