Old 03-12-2004, 05:23 PM
chris

Default want advice on green places to visit in New York

Hi,

I am looking to go to New York next year.

The wife thinks its for a shopping trip, I want to "accidentally" come
acoss nice gardens and other green places.

The obvious one is Central Park, but I would like other
recommendations please.

Chris
Old 03-12-2004, 05:52 PM
IntarsiaCo

come
acoss nice gardens and other green places.

Brooklyn Botanic Garden
New York Botanic Garden
Wave Hill
Chinese Scholar's Garden at the Staten Island Botanic Garden
Planting Fields Arboretum
Old Westbury Gardens
Bayard Cutting Arboretum
Old 04-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Dwayne

Good morning Chris,

Let me invite you to come out to Colby, Kansas (population about 6000) also
while you are in the US. I will introduce you to some of your countrymen
that have moved here and stayed. We have a lot of gardens that are very
beautiful, although not as big as the ones mentioned in NY.

It isn't considered as beautiful here as some states, but it has a lot of
class anyway. We are a growing community, we have at least 6 stoplights now
and 2 or 3, intersections that are 4-way stops. I have driven in Germany
where you keep your eye on the rear view mirror for flashing headlights
indicating that a Mercedes or BMW is going to pass you at 180 KPH; in Italy
where you have to be certified "Crazy" to get your truck drivers license;
and in Amsterdam where 350,000 bicycles are in your lane of traffic at the
same time you are. I really enjoy it here.

If you decide to take me up on my invitation, let me know.

Dwayne

m...

Old 07-12-2004, 10:51 AM
jane

On 3 Dec 2004 09:23:58 -0800, (chris) wrote:

~Hi,
~
~I am looking to go to New York next year.
~
~The wife thinks its for a shopping trip, I want to "accidentally" come
~acoss nice gardens and other green places.
~
~The obvious one is Central Park, but I would like other
~recommendations please.
~

Here's a couple of places, shown to me by a native NY friend. I'd
never have known they were there without her, and I have no hesitation
in recommending them!

The Cloisters in Fort Tryon Park.
It's a wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, up at the north end of
Manhattan beyond the suspension bridge. Set in a very stylised garden
within a lovely natural park it's a total hodgepodge of bits of stolen
European medieval buildings, old bibles, fantastic works of Christian
illumination/art and the hunt of the unicorn tapestries. But it's
grounds are lovely. Bits for both history and garden lovers (though
you'd probably wince at the wanton glueing together of the poor bits
of chapels and cloisters...). Needless to say it was Rockefeller who
built it.
http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Ar...ment.asp?dep=7

Wave Hill.
From there it's not far into the Bronx. You have to go there. I'm not
kidding (hey, I sent all my postcards from there to scare folk, but
the north Bronx is like Beverly Hills) as there's a beautiful house
and garden called Wave Hill, formerly the residence of one of the
presidents, can't remember which...
googles
Roosevelt. Not to mention Samuel Clements, a couple of British
Ambassadors and a few other hugely influential families.

http://www.wavehill.org/gardens/

It's Wisleyesque, with superb views over the river, and walks. The
website's quite nice - gives you a taste of the gardens as well as the
history.

Hope you have fun...

--
jane