Old 08-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Joe Bloggs

Default Any ideas ?

I hate throwing things away, but I've now got lots and lots of 1 litre,
2 litre and bigger plastic plant pots that I know I won't use for
plants, but can't bear to think of being thrown onto a landfill. Any Bob
Flowerdew's out there that can think of any alternative uses for these
things, either whole or cut up ?

Old 08-11-2002, 12:33 PM

"Joe Bloggs" wrote in message
: I hate throwing things away, but I've now got lots and lots of 1 litre,
: 2 litre and bigger plastic plant pots that I know I won't use for
: plants, but can't bear to think of being thrown onto a landfill. Any Bob
: Flowerdew's out there that can think of any alternative uses for these
: things, either whole or cut up ?
:
Have you thought of offering them to local charity shops, junior schools,
disabled groups etc, etc?

Old 08-11-2002, 02:37 PM
Martin & Anna Sykes

I hate throwing things away, but I've now got lots and lots of 1 litre,

One of the chains of garden centres (Wyevale I think) were starting a
recycling service for pots. I don't think they were offering anything in
exchange although if you had loads you might be able to convince them to
give you a plant in exchange.

1. You could try to always grow a new plant from a cutting to give away to a
friend every time you buy a plant. That way you can give away the pot at the
same time.

2. You could cut them up and use as drainage material in the bottom of pots
just like you would with broken terracotta pots.

3. Plant them in the ground next to thirsty shrubs/trees. Water by filling
the pot. This gets the water down near the roots instead on top where it
evaporates. Then you're saving water as well as recycling the pots.

Martin

Old 08-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Carol Russell

"Joe Bloggs" wrote in message
I hate throwing things away, but I've now got lots and lots of 1 litre,
2 litre and bigger plastic plant pots that I know I won't use for
plants, but can't bear to think of being thrown onto a landfill. Any Bob
Flowerdew's out there that can think of any alternative uses for these
things, either whole or cut up ?

How about making a flowerpot man!!!!!

--
Art

Garden Web http://www.gardenweb.com
My Garden Web exchange page http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/art1952

Old 08-11-2002, 04:19 PM
Michael Savage

"Joe Bloggs" wrote in message
I hate throwing things away, but I've now got lots and lots of 1 litre,
2 litre and bigger plastic plant pots that I know I won't use for
plants, but can't bear to think of being thrown onto a landfill. Any Bob
Flowerdew's out there that can think of any alternative uses for these
things, either whole or cut up ?

If you know anyone who does the car boot sales, give them to them to sell by
the stack...I know several people who regularly buy 10 for 50p or whatever,
and even if you never see the money they're going to a good home...

Michael S

Old 08-11-2002, 06:32 PM
Natalie

"Joe Bloggs" wrote in message
I hate throwing things away, but I've now got lots and lots of 1 litre,
2 litre and bigger plastic plant pots that I know I won't use for
plants, but can't bear to think of being thrown onto a landfill. Any Bob
Flowerdew's out there that can think of any alternative uses for these
things, either whole or cut up ?

Whenever I get a surplus of plastic pots I give them to friends who
propagate plants for charity via National Garden Scheme. You could also try
offering them to the local allotment.

Natalie

Old 08-11-2002, 07:10 PM

How about making a flowerpot man!!!!!

Terracotta is just sooo much nicer for flowerpot men.....

Best,

- h

Old 08-11-2002, 09:16 PM
DaveDay34

If you're anywhere north London I'd be happy to take them off your hands. I
could do with some myself.

If you don't mind putting in a little effort now, and would like to make a
little money, you could buy some bulbs and some compost and pot up bulbs and
sell in the spring. That way you'd get rid of the pots and make some cash as
well.

Dave.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:08 AM
Paul England

"Joe Bloggs" wrote in message
snip got lots and lots of 1 litre,
2 litre and bigger plastic plant pots that I know I won't use for
plants,snipthink of any alternative uses for these
things, either whole or cut up ?

If you have any large plants that require protection from slugs i.e. Hostas.
Cut the tops off the pots,leaving a 4 inch rim. Smear the top 2 inches with
petroleum jelly and bury the remainder in the soil. Slugs won't cross this
stuff and should stay rain-proof for about 3 months.
Regards Paul.