Old 01-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Chris Rowe

Default Hellebores

I have several Hellebores(orientals)all grown from seed 2years ago,can
anyone tell me why it is that the only ones that have buds are the ones that
I planted in a pot? Do you think they prefer to have their roots restricted

TIA Christy

Old 01-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:16:54 GMT, "Chris Rowe"
wrote:

I have several Hellebores(orientals)all grown from seed 2years ago,can
anyone tell me why it is that the only ones that have buds are the ones that
I planted in a pot? Do you think they prefer to have their roots restricted

Don't know the answer to your question but it is an interesting
theory. Growing hellebores from seed is exciting. I'll be interested
to know how your flowers turn out. I have grown many over the years,
but I've not had any flowering in the pots. Have fun

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

I have several Hellebores(orientals)all grown from seed 2years ago,can
anyone tell me why it is that the only ones that have buds are the ones that
I planted in a pot? Do you think they prefer to have their roots restricted

Don't know the answer to your question but it is an interesting
theory. Growing hellebores from seed is exciting. I'll be interested
to know how your flowers turn out. I have grown many over the years,
but I've not had any flowering in the pots. Have fun

Pam in Bristol

I have several yellow hellebores growing and flowering in pots at the
moment Pam, no sign of flowers on those in the ground at the moment!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 02-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Chris Rowe" contains these words:

I have several Hellebores(orientals)all grown from seed 2years ago,can
anyone tell me why it is that the only ones that have buds are the ones that
I planted in a pot? Do you think they prefer to have their roots restricted

TIA Christy

I think the theory is that if they are slightly under stress, they will
flower in order to try to perpetuate themselves.

Janet G

Old 02-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Chris Rowe

Thanx to all for your theorys,&to Janet G, I think that I may have got the
seeds from you
Thanx again Christy
The message

Old 05-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:55:27 GMT, "Chris Rowe"
wrote:

Hi Tom
I have planted purchased seeds in the past with no success I would advise
getting hold of some fresh ones if possible
Regards Christy

Same Here! I have only had real success with freshly gathered seed, I
collected some from my own plants one year, and sent some to a friend.
I sowed mine straight away, and had several germinate, but the friend
delayed sowing, and none came up.
However, if left out overwinter to get the cold treatment a few may
come up.
I would not bother buying. Having said that, I have asked for some
from the RHS seed distribution! Time will tell!

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-01-2005, 07:46 PM
John McMillan

I'm no expert - but I've had good success with fresh seed too.
I've also had some from Chiltern. I think the recipe is to
sow them in a 10cm pot, water them, then put it in a plastic bag
and hide it somewhere. At about November or so bring it out into
the open. When nothing has happened by Feb or March, put it back
in the bag and wait until next November for a second run. I had some
that did nothing first year but about 60% germination on the second.

John McMillan