Old 16-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Magwitch

shazzbat muttered:

I plan to plant my cloves in pots to start them off, then plant out with the
rootball when they are 2"-3" tall, thus avoiding gaps in the rows where some
doesn't make it, also this will allow me to plant them in newly weeded soil,
giving the crop a chance to get ahead.

Any reasons why I shouldn't do this? The variety is Fokhagyma.

TIA

Steve

I read somewhere that they need some hard frosts to develop... so should
ideally be planted in November.

Old 17-01-2005, 08:34 AM
jane

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:32:36 +0100, Magwitch wrote:

~shazzbat muttered:
~
~ I plan to plant my cloves in pots to start them off, then plant out with the
~ rootball when they are 2"-3" tall, thus avoiding gaps in the rows where some
~ doesn't make it, also this will allow me to plant them in newly weeded soil,
~ giving the crop a chance to get ahead.
~
~ Any reasons why I shouldn't do this? The variety is Fokhagyma.
~
~ TIA
~
~ Steve
~
~
~I read somewhere that they need some hard frosts to develop... so should
~ideally be planted in November.
~
True, the cold helps them break into many cloves. If planted too late
and/or too warm, you tend to get one enormous clove. If you get them
in before the end of March in the UK you are usually fine. I have in
the past planted mine in modules and they have done well, but with one
caveat: don't let them get rootbound in the modules. In my experience,
the roots then stay in the same ball shape permanently, and the bulbs
are small. If you try and tease them out they just snap, with the same
result.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 05:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM