Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Gary

Default Composting Fears

A lady friend of mine started composting a few years ago and complained
that "It's just not working. It isn't doing anything." I told her don't
worry about it, just keep adding your kitchen 'stuff'. And have faith...
Today my son and I went to help out with a few things and one of them
was to empty the compost bin. This lady friend grows tomatoes. The plan was
to put the 'not working stuff' on her garden.
My son and I lifted the whole bin from the compost pile...after removing
the screws holding the bin to the ground...the compost was then left naked
for viewing.
The top 1/4, which would be viewed from the top opening, had not
decomposed. From the top it would look as if nothing was happening thus the
"It's not working" comment above. The bottom 3/4 was an amazing mix of good
black soil.
We put the top 1/4 of the compost bin contents (uncomposted) onto a
plastic sheet then obtained 2 trash cans of black wonderful nutritious soil.
We spread the black gold on the garden area and then dug it in...we dug it
in right away because it contains live 'good' bacteria that we want to keep
living in the soil. A living soil!
This bodes well for next years crop of tomatoes...I can hardly wait.
Compost fears? Don't worry just keep adding your kitchen stuff and have
faith.
The top 1/4 of the compost (uncomposted stuff) we put back into the bin
and added some of the former good composted soil...then I topped it off with
a good layer of coffee grounds (including paper filters) that I had obtained
from a local coffee shop. My worms love me and now so do the local coffee
shops!
After next years crop of tomatoes maybe my lady friend will love me
too...after all she is my mother and she is 90!
Gary