Old 22-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Dani

Default Viking HE715 Hedge cutter

My new HE715 broke down when cutting Crataegus monogyna (3-15 mm
diameter) after only ONE (1) day. Stihl Sweden eventually answered
that there had been defects in the steel used for the crankshafts so
this was not the first machine to break down. Not only had the top
crankshaft snapped off, but when I inspected the knives, several of
them was deformed.

After two weeks they replaced my machine with a completely new HE715.
I used it to cut the last meters of hedge, after using a hand saw to
cut all branches above approx 8 mm in diameter to minimize cutting
resistance. When finished, after 30 min, I inspected the knives and
could see a tendency of identical deformations as the first machine
had -- the edges appear wave-shaped with a couple of compressions on
each knife. I think it has to do with the wave shaped anvil blades in
combination with a very sharp angle on the cutting edges.

Have this happened to anybody else or do you know of anyone having
used a HE715 without problems?

/Dani
Old 22-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Dani
writes
[...]

I put up a thread a couple of weeks or so ago about this hedge cutter.
I'd changed from a 700 because mine was broken, but I wasn't happy with
the new one at all. I wrote to Stihl and told them it wasn't as strong
as the old one, didn't feel so 'weighty' in use and I didn't think it
would last. It cut my 600 foot of hawthorn but that was the autumn cut
and I can't see it doing the summer cut at all, it just feels flimsy.
they responded by saying they were very interested in my email and could
I give them details etc and a report after my next use, etc etc.

Perhaps you ought to email the same person as the reply was.....

Dear Janet,

Thank you for your feedback on your VIKING hedge trimmers. As I believe
you are aware, I have been on holiday for a couple of weeks, so please
accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I am obviously disappointed to hear of your initial feelings regarding
your new VIKING hedge trimmer, but welcome the feedback you have
provided. I appreciate you are in the early stages of ownership of your
new hedge trimmer, but if it is possible I would welcome any further,
more specific feedback on the product you have purchased. Are you able
to provide any particular comments relating to handling, the cutting
result, ergonomics etc
of the new machine?

The Product Manager for VIKING Hedge trimmers globally has also been
copied on your email and is also keen to know of any specific comments
you have, once you have used the machine.

From the direct experience we have gained here at STIHL GB with this
product, we are not aware of any obvious weaknesses and on the contrary
believe it to be a very solid, effective product following the usage
myself and my colleagues have had.

I am also unsure about your reference to the machine being "shorter in
use".Are you referring to the length of the blade as this should be the
same
(70cm)?

If you are able to provide any additional feedback following extended
use of your new machine, I would appreciate receiving it as we take
these comments seriously and do process them through to the appropriate
personnel.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to feed back and if you would
like to respond further, please feel free to email me or call me on the
number at the foot of this email.

Best Regards,

Sally-Ann McCusker )
Product Marketing Manager, (GB),
Andreas Stihl Ltd.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 23-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
Bear in mind that this is a UK gardening newsgroup, and sometimes
manufacturers supply different specifications of a particular model for
export (for different conditions of use, or to comply with another
country's law on safety and liability, for example). So, even if UK
gardeners here use that model, if they bought it in the UK, it might
not be the same specification as the one you bought in Sweden.

Janet.

Janet, I have had the same trouble and had posted the same remarks about
a month ago. The new clippers feel flimsy and don't feel that they are
going to prove as strong and as long lasting as the old 700 ones. I even
thought of trying to find a pair of the old type to buy instead!

Janet
Old 12-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Dani

My cutter is still on service. The latest I heard was that the matter
is under investigation by German representatives from Viking. They
claim that this is the first time they ever heard about this problem.
Two machines in a row with the same problem -- I strongly doubt that
it can be only bad luck.

/Dani

Old 16-02-2005, 01:18 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Dani
writes
My cutter is still on service. The latest I heard was that the matter
is under investigation by German representatives from Viking. They
claim that this is the first time they ever heard about this problem.
Two machines in a row with the same problem -- I strongly doubt that
it can be only bad luck.

/Dani

Janet Tweedy wrote in message

e.co.uk...
In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
Bear in mind that this is a UK gardening newsgroup, and sometimes
manufacturers supply different specifications of a particular model for
export (for different conditions of use, or to comply with another
country's law on safety and liability, for example). So, even if UK
gardeners here use that model, if they bought it in the UK, it might
not be the same specification as the one you bought in Sweden.

Janet.

Janet, I have had the same trouble and had posted the same remarks about
a month ago. The new clippers feel flimsy and don't feel that they are
going to prove as strong and as long lasting as the old 700 ones. I even
thought of trying to find a pair of the old type to buy instead!

Janet

Well if you want to use my correspondence with them please feel free,
and also if you want a statement I'd be happy to confirm your findings
with the model!

janet