Old 30-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
In article , jay jay jay.jay.1j
writes

Kay Wrote:
In article
, dickiemint
writes-

Hi to all on this site,
Just joined this site at the start of the weekend 21st jan. Been
surfing around to join some other gardening website with forums and
seen that this one is quite busy.-

Welcome! :-)

But this is not a site, nor a forum. It is a newsgroup, which most
people read using newsgroup reading software such as Turnpike, and has
nothing to do with gardenbanter at all - it's been here since long
before gardenbanter (I've been here since 1997, and it was already
going
strong then). Gardenbanter merely picks it up as a way of increasing
its
'content'.

I'm confused - why do you need special software such as Turnpike. I
seem to get along without it, or am I missing out on something?

Well, I don't know. Does gardenbanter take all the posts that appear on
uk-rec.gardening? I suppose you have no way of knowing that. And of
course what you do lose out on is all the other newsgroups that you
might find interesting that aren't being poached by some website.

IME it's quicker to read posts directly on the newsgroup rather than
through a website. And for anyone who is still on dial-up, newsreaders
allow you to read and reply while off-line.

But I suppose the main purpose of my post was to highlight that
uk.rec.gardening is a newsgroup that has grown over the years by the
efforts of all those who post to it, and not a facility provided by the
efforts of those at gardenbanter.

My news server doesn't carry the posts of those inputting from
gardenbanter. Nor does the one at work or any of its peers. There's a
good reason for reading directly rather than through some site that
tries to palm off independant content as a service it provides.

Warwick