Old 22-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Registered User

Location: shropshire
Default new to site not to gardening.

Hi to all on this site,
Just joined this site at the start of the weekend 21st jan. Been surfing around to join some other gardening website with forums and seen that this one is quite busy.
A bit about myself, born to be a gardener as my father was one and as I was living out in the sticks the best thing to do was help and watch my dad plant and maintain things in the garden. Living in shropshire all my life which to some people is very short as I'am only 40 years young !!!.
After school went and work at local nursery which was hardy nursery stock ( trees & shrubs ) . Mid 20's try my hand at horticulture college which I can say was very good all round exsperence. Back to the place of work where I got more knowedge under my belt .
Few years later had the chance to work at a 5 acre garden which needed waking up as it had not been replanted up or any loving care put into it.

regards Rich

Ps another good site for gardener is http://groups.msn.com/TheVirtualGarden
Old 23-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Kay

In article , dickiemint
writes

Hi to all on this site,
Just joined this site at the start of the weekend 21st jan. Been
surfing around to join some other gardening website with forums and
seen that this one is quite busy.

Welcome! :-)

But this is not a site, nor a forum. It is a newsgroup, which most
people read using newsgroup reading software such as Turnpike, and has
nothing to do with gardenbanter at all - it's been here since long
before gardenbanter (I've been here since 1997, and it was already going
strong then). Gardenbanter merely picks it up as a way of increasing its
'content'.

--
Kay

Old 23-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Alan Gould

In article , dickiemint
writes

Hi to all on this site,
Just joined this site at the start of the weekend 21st jan. Been
surfing around to join some other gardening website with forums and
seen that this one is quite busy.

Welcome to urg Dickie. It has plenty of good gardening discussions you
may like to take part in and new relevant topics are always welcome.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 23-01-2005, 08:58 AM
June Hughes

In message , dickiemint
writes

Hi to all on this site,
Just joined this site at the start of the weekend 21st jan. Been
surfing around to join some other gardening website with forums and
seen that this one is quite busy.

Hello

Hope you like. Many people who post here are very knowledgeable.
Others, like me, generally just read and learn, although we all have our
own special bits of expertise (I think). Anyway, most are friendly.
Enjoy.
--
June Hughes

Old 23-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Kate Morgan

Just joined this site at the start of the weekend 21st jan. Been
surfing around to join some other gardening website with forums and
seen that this one is quite busy.

Hello, it`s good here, you will get lots of information and I am sure
that you will find that you can help other peeps.

enjoy

kate
sth. glos
Old 23-01-2005, 11:27 AM
JennyC

"dickiemint" wrote in message

Hi to all on this site,
Just joined this site at the start of the weekend 21st jan.

snip
regards Rich

Hi Rich,
This is actually a newsgroup not a site !!

Anyway, what sort of garden do you have?
Whereabouts are you situated?
Got any special plant favourites ?
Jenny

Old 23-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Kay

In article , jay jay jay.jay.1j
writes

Kay Wrote:
In article
, dickiemint
writes-

Hi to all on this site,
Just joined this site at the start of the weekend 21st jan. Been
surfing around to join some other gardening website with forums and
seen that this one is quite busy.-

Welcome! :-)

But this is not a site, nor a forum. It is a newsgroup, which most
people read using newsgroup reading software such as Turnpike, and has
nothing to do with gardenbanter at all - it's been here since long
before gardenbanter (I've been here since 1997, and it was already
going
strong then). Gardenbanter merely picks it up as a way of increasing
its
'content'.

I'm confused - why do you need special software such as Turnpike. I
seem to get along without it, or am I missing out on something?

Well, I don't know. Does gardenbanter take all the posts that appear on
uk-rec.gardening? I suppose you have no way of knowing that. And of
course what you do lose out on is all the other newsgroups that you
might find interesting that aren't being poached by some website.

IME it's quicker to read posts directly on the newsgroup rather than
through a website. And for anyone who is still on dial-up, newsreaders
allow you to read and reply while off-line.

But I suppose the main purpose of my post was to highlight that
uk.rec.gardening is a newsgroup that has grown over the years by the
efforts of all those who post to it, and not a facility provided by the
efforts of those at gardenbanter.
--
Kay

Old 23-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Mike Lyle

JennyC wrote:
[...]
I think that most Turnpike users hate anything to do with
Microsoft.............:~)

Not as much as users of Microsoft products do, though. I've hated
them since DOS 2.1. Hell, I even hate Microsoft when they do
something good.

Mike.

Old 23-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , JennyC
writes
I think that most Turnpike users hate anything to do with
Microsoft.............:~)

I use both. I'm not all that keen on either of them really but past
attempts to 'escape' have been beyond my limited IT/PC know-how.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 25-01-2005, 12:39 AM
JeffC

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , dickiemint
writes

Hi to all on this site,
Just joined this site at the start of the weekend 21st jan. Been
surfing around to join some other gardening website with forums and
seen that this one is quite busy.

Welcome! :-)

But this is not a site, nor a forum. It is a newsgroup, which most
people read using newsgroup reading software such as Turnpike, and has
nothing to do with gardenbanter at all - it's been here since long
before gardenbanter (I've been here since 1997, and it was already going
strong then). Gardenbanter merely picks it up as a way of increasing its
'content'.

--
Kay

Hi Richard, what Operating system do you use? MS Windows, Mac or Linux?

If is MS Windows then have a look at my website, it shows you how to use
Outlook Express to read newsgroups..........Yes I know Microsoft ! (phat !
spit ! groan !).

But I'm damned if I'm going to pay a load of money not to use half of it
because its Microsoft!

I've got Agent newsreader, its great, but there are too many bells and
whistles for the casual user and it cost money to, (unless you use FreeAgent
of course!) I use OE because it has less options, therefore less
complications.

http://www.astrecks.co.uk/newsgroupspage.htm

astrecks(at)yahooyourbrain(dot)com (remove your brain to reply)

http://www.astrecks.co.uk
Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)

Old 25-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , JennyC
writes

I think that most Turnpike users hate anything to do with
Microsoft.............:~)
I use Outlook
Jenny

We use Turnpike, and loathe Outlook, I like the way my news comes down
as pure text and is easy to read etc.
Having said which, I have to also use Agent as some Welsh genealogy
groups can't be accessed by Turnpike.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy