Old 24-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Keith Hampson

Default Planting Hawthorn

I have decided to use hawthorn for my edge, but how should I plant it, what
distance apart? how deep, how do I prepare the soil?, I am also thinking of
planting it double, is this a go idea (2 rows)

thanks Keith

Old 25-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Keith Hampson
writes
I have decided to use hawthorn for my edge, but how should I plant it, what
distance apart? how deep, how do I prepare the soil?, I am also thinking of
planting it double, is this a go idea (2 rows)

Assuming that you are going to use established young pot grown saplings,
plant them at the same depth as they have been raised - in fact leave
the root ball and soil intact a.f.a.p. The soil should be well
cultivated with some slow release nutrients added at about
15-18ins/30-45cm deep. Make sure that the bed is high enough to allow
for subsequent settlement - remember that it is likely to be a long time
before it can be worked again. A double row is a good plan if you want
to increase the thickness of the hedge. Set the plants at 12ins/30cm.
apart in alternate rows 12-15ins/30-45cm. apart, or less if you want a
really dense hedge. Firm them in and water well.

Common Hawthorn or May [Crataegus oxyacantha] are hardy deciduous shrubs
fit to stand any UK winter, but it would be well to wait until after
your last frost before planting.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 25-01-2005, 07:57 PM
ned

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
news
In article , Keith Hampson
writes
I have decided to use hawthorn for my edge, but how should I plant

it, what
distance apart? how deep, how do I prepare the soil?, I am also

thinking of
planting it double, is this a go idea (2 rows)

snip

Common Hawthorn or May [Crataegus oxyacantha] are hardy deciduous

shrubs
fit to stand any UK winter, but it would be well to wait until after
your last frost before planting.

I'd second Janet B.s suggestion that winter planting is quite
acceptable for hawthorn - provided they are locally grown plants and
not subjected to a weather regime other than they are accustomed to.
I've just been infilling gaps in my hedges with transplants removed
from overgrown areas within my own grounds.

--
ned - Mid Lincs :-)

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.12.2004

Old 26-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Alan Gould

In article , ned writes
but it would be well to wait until after
your last frost before planting.

I'd second Janet B.s suggestion that winter planting is quite
acceptable for hawthorn - provided they are locally grown plants and
not subjected to a weather regime other than they are accustomed to.
I've just been infilling gaps in my hedges with transplants removed
from overgrown areas within my own grounds.

I agree that winter planting of hawthorn can be an option, but the
original enquirer gave the impression that he was not very experienced
at this kind of gardening. Thus pot grown plants rather than open rooted
and spring rather than winter planting would help to lower plant losses.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 26-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Registered User

Just a suggestion, but wouldn't a double row grow rather wide and hard to trim once established? Part of the hedge on my lottie is hawthorn and it's only just trimmable from both sides if you lean on it. Ideally I'd cut it back to about 2ft width.

Old 27-01-2005, 11:53 PM
anton

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
I have decided to use hawthorn for my edge, but how should I plant it,

what
distance apart? how deep, how do I prepare the soil?, I am also thinking

of
planting it double, is this a go idea (2 rows)

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.u...280.html#a187T
HEDGE Trim between July and March. For hedges 3-20ft (0.9-6m). Plant 9-12ins
(23-30cm) apart or for a denser or stock-proof hedge plant in a staggered
double row with 15ins (38cm) between rows and 18ins (45cm) between plants

Cheapest way of sourcing lots of trees for hedging is bare-root planting
when the leaves are off- so get hold of your little trees and plant them in
the next couple of months. Double row is only necessary if you want the
hedge to be extra secure against large animal or human intrusion/ extrusion.
Defence against rabbits my be necessary according to your area- spiral-wound
rabbit guards or alternatives may be necessary.

You don't need to get over-fancy with your ground preparation- in fact you
can slit plant if you've got a siginificant length of hedge to plant. (Shove
spade the full length of the blade into soil, rock backwards & forwards,
insert bare-root treelet to correct height, stamp with heel to close slit.)
Some defence from weeds would be a good idea, esp. for the first year, by
landscape fabric, mulching, careful weed-killing, or hand-weeding.

--
Anton