Old 07-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Default Pruning - Hydrangea, buddelia, sedum?

wanted to check whats the best method before i start pruning at end of month

hydrangea, cut out all dead stems & then down to 1st or 2nd healthy bud? thing that confuses e is hydrangea's usually have two buds either side of each other on a stem, do these count as one or two? i believe its best to wait till mid march for pruning?

sedum, just cut last years flower stems close to ground as possible? when is best time as i can see new growth just starting

buddelia, cut off dead stems, and then all stems cut back to first bud. Question is does it matter what size bud is, as some stems have very tiny buds near main stem which don't seem to be doing anything, whereas i've noticed a few buds further up stem which already seem to be growing. Again when's best time?

thanks for all your help
Old 08-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Tom

"Tiger303" wrote
hydrangea, cut out all dead stems & then down to 1st or 2nd healthy
bud? thing that confuses e is hydrangea's usually have two buds either
side of each other on a stem, do these count as one or two? i believe
its best to wait till mid march for pruning?

My hydrangeas never bloomed, until my gardening teacher told me that you
have to cut to where there are two buds either side, even if that means
cutting some stems very low to the ground. Worked like magic, and last year
my hydrangeas were so heavy with flowers they were bending under the weight.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Kay

In article , Tom
writes
"Tiger303" wrote
hydrangea, cut out all dead stems & then down to 1st or 2nd healthy
bud? thing that confuses e is hydrangea's usually have two buds either
side of each other on a stem, do these count as one or two? i believe
its best to wait till mid march for pruning?

My hydrangeas never bloomed, until my gardening teacher told me that you
have to cut to where there are two buds either side,

Do you mean two on one side and two on the other? I've never seen that.
Or do you mean two, one each side? - which is the normal layout?

--
Kay

Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Kay

In article , Tiger303
writes

wanted to check whats the best method before i start pruning at end of
month

hydrangea, cut out all dead stems & then down to 1st or 2nd healthy
bud? thing that confuses e is hydrangea's usually have two buds either
side of each other on a stem, do these count as one or two?

One.

sedum, just cut last years flower stems close to ground as possible?
when is best time as i can see new growth just starting

Any time. Whenever you're fed up of the look of the stems. They're dead
now, so the plant doesn't worry what you do with them.

--
Kay

buddelia domancy Chookie Australia 0 29-12-2005 10:38 AM
buddelia domancy Persephone Gardening 0 28-12-2005 03:03 AM
buddelia domancy Robert United Kingdom 1 27-12-2005 09:41 PM
Pruning Blue Spirea (caryopteris) and Buddelia (Butterfly bush) Louis Ohland Gardening 2 13-10-2003 07:02 PM
of asters and composite mums, buddelia's and hummingbirds in salvia Madgardener Gardening 0 31-08-2003 12:22 AM