Old 13-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Louis Ohland

Default Pruning Blue Spirea (caryopteris) and Buddelia (Butterfly bush)

How hard and when should I prune back my Blue Spirea? It did so-so
this year.

Should I whack it right to the ground in spring?

The Butterfly Bush was a decided underperformer. Lanky describes it.
How should I prune it?

Zone 5, southern Wisconsin banana belt.

--
Reply to me at louis little punctuation mark ohland with the same ISP
Old 13-10-2003, 05:02 PM
David J Bockman

Caryopteris: Treatment as a cut-back shrub in late winter allows small
spring bulbs to be planted underneath, extending the season of interest.

Old 13-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Louis Ohland

Bulbs underneath, hadn't thought of that...