Old 10-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Default Slightly OT? Could someone ID a shrub (tree?) from a description?

Sorry to barge in unnanounced, but I'm trying to assist my father. He - and
my mother - have just returned from a fortnight on La Gomera (small island
off the coast of Tenerife). My father borrowed my digital camera and went
off to shoot plants.

One of them was, well he describes it as a tree, with small five-petalled
white/cream exquisitely-perfumed flowers with strong yellow centres. The
branches are a strong rusty-red colour (verging on bright orange) and the
leaves are akin to that of a laurel or rhododendron. The flowers are on
single 'stems' (for want of a better term - can you tell I'm not a gardener?
;o)) - at the end of the stem. I should add that the petals slightly overlap
each other and the edges are slightly curled inwards.

Can anyone offer a positive ID from the above description? Unfortunately,
because he focussed on the flowers, I cannot tell the leaf arrangement,
though it could very well be similar to a laurel. I have done some research
on the Lauraceae of the Canaries, but I've not found anything that remotely
matches.

If you'd like to see the photo, I'd be happy to email it to anyone who asks.

Any clues greatly - and gratefully - appreciated.

--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
salads.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:48 PM
jane

~
~One of them was, well he describes it as a tree, with small five-petalled
~white/cream exquisitely-perfumed flowers with strong yellow centres. The
~branches are a strong rusty-red colour (verging on bright orange) and the
~leaves are akin to that of a laurel or rhododendron. The flowers are on
~single 'stems' (for want of a better term - can you tell I'm not a gardener?
~;o)) - at the end of the stem. I should add that the petals slightly overlap
~each other and the edges are slightly curled inwards.

I am getting deja-vu here. Frangipani. (Plumeria)

Gorgeous smell. I love them.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 10-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Bob Hobden

"jane" answered after
"Miss Perspicacia Tick"

[...]

Yes I'm with you Jane, although I wouldn't describe the flowers as small,
and it's the yellow centred one that has the best perfume.

Oh, and it won't grow outside in the UK in case that was your next question.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 11-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Bob Hobden wrote:
"jane" answered after
"Miss Perspicacia Tick"

[...]

Thanks, both of you. No, it wasn't, Bob, I know it's not hardy. It's
difficult to gauge the size of a flower from a photo - especially a close-up
where everything looks larger anyway.

Blessed Be,

Sarah

on salads.