Old 10-02-2005, 10:36 PM
David Cleland

Default redwood

does redwood (common) still grow even if you do not cut it back to 5cm each
spring ?

David

Old 10-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Mike Lyle

David Cleland wrote:
does redwood (common) still grow even if you do not cut it back to
5cm each spring ?

Do you mean a thing with pretty red bark on upright whippy shoots? If
so, it's red-barked dogwood (Cornus alba), and it'll make a domed
bush about eight feet high if you don't cut it. Lower branches will
root where they touch the ground, so the spread is just about
indefinite.

If you want the red shoots, it's best to cut it down every year (late
February is good), but it won't hurt if you miss a year.

Mike.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:01 PM
David Cleland

Do you mean a thing with pretty red bark on upright whippy shoots? If
so, it's red-barked dogwood (Cornus alba), and it'll make a domed
bush about eight feet high if you don't cut it. Lower branches will
root where they touch the ground, so the spread is just about
indefinite.

yip that is it, I have read about cutting it back - Ideally I would like it
around 4 feet, it is ok to trim to a desired size ?

David

Old 12-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Mike Lyle

David Cleland wrote:
Do you mean a thing with pretty red bark on upright whippy shoots?

If
so, it's red-barked dogwood (Cornus alba), and it'll make a domed
bush about eight feet high if you don't cut it. Lower branches

will
root where they touch the ground, so the spread is just about
indefinite.

yip that is it, I have read about cutting it back - Ideally I would
like it around 4 feet, it is ok to trim to a desired size ?

I can't promise four feet, as the stems do come up very quickly; but
I found when I had a lot of them that they wouldn't -- I'm guessing
here -- get above about five by the end of the summer. Cut them off
six inches from the ground every year, about the end of this month,
and you'll be all right. Stay ruthless in subsequent years, too. The
same treatment for golden osiers, but a couple of weeks earlier, as
they shoot sooner.

Mike.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:44 PM
David Cleland

I can't promise four feet, as the stems do come up very quickly; but
I found when I had a lot of them that they wouldn't -- I'm guessing
here -- get above about five by the end of the summer. Cut them off
six inches from the ground every year, about the end of this month,
and you'll be all right. Stay ruthless in subsequent years, too. The
same treatment for golden osiers, but a couple of weeks earlier, as
they shoot sooner.

so I cut down to say 6" this month, how quick will they grow again ?

David

Old 12-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Mike Lyle

David Cleland wrote:
I can't promise four feet, as the stems do come up very quickly;

but
I found when I had a lot of them that they wouldn't -- I'm

guessing
here -- get above about five by the end of the summer. Cut them

off
six inches from the ground every year, about the end of this

month,
and you'll be all right. Stay ruthless in subsequent years, too.

The
same treatment for golden osiers, but a couple of weeks earlier,

as
they shoot sooner.

so I cut down to say 6" this month, how quick will they grow again

?

They'll be looking leafy in a couple of months, full height by
autumn. They aren't really grown for how they look in summer, but for
the bare bark in winter, so you'll need some other things growing
around them.

Mike.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:44 PM
David Cleland

They'll be looking leafy in a couple of months, full height by
autumn. They aren't really grown for how they look in summer, but for
the bare bark in winter, so you'll need some other things growing
around them.

Thanks Mike, I have tulips and snowdrops around mine

David

Old 13-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Franz Heymann

"David Cleland" wrote in message

I can't promise four feet, as the stems do come up very quickly;

but
I found when I had a lot of them that they wouldn't -- I'm

guessing
here -- get above about five by the end of the summer. Cut them

off
six inches from the ground every year, about the end of this

month,
and you'll be all right. Stay ruthless in subsequent years, too.

The
same treatment for golden osiers, but a couple of weeks earlier,

as
they shoot sooner.

so I cut down to say 6" this month, how quick will they grow again ?

They'll reach four or five feet this season.

Franz

[IBC] Curved Dawn Redwood Marty Haber Bonsai 3 04-07-2003 11:20 PM
Curved Dawn Redwood Greg Wilson Bonsai 1 04-07-2003 09:08 PM
Redwood Soil Conditioner (Big R) Kazuo Gardening 0 08-04-2003 07:56 PM
[IBC] redwood roots Colin Horn Bonsai 1 13-03-2003 04:32 AM
California Redwood Tree ? Jack Sandweiss alt.forestry 4 12-03-2003 03:25 AM