Old 12-02-2005, 12:24 PM
David

Default Advice on plants for new evergreen hedge

Hi,
I want to replace an old 5 ft high screenblock wall with a hedge as the
wall is unsafe and needs to come down. This wall runs east/west along the
length of my garden and subdivides it into a lawned area and veg /fruit
garden. The area I will have left is some 5ft wide and around 80ft long and
is currently covered in a 3inch layer of red chips laid on top of a
membrane. The whole area sees the sun for the full afternoon.
My requirements for the hedge would be:
1) Final height around 4 - 5ft tall, medium growth rate
2) Evergreen ( I've got quite enough leaves blowing around my garden,
thankyou!).
3) Formal or informal....I've not decided
4) Suitably dense for birds to nest
5) Preferably not "green privet" ( or at least variagated!)

Finally, being a lazy sod, I would prefer to leave the chips in place and
plant through them as there is 8 tons of them. I know that the soil
underneath is good quality, presently I have roses growing happily, these
will be moved elsewhere.
Advice on plant types and planting techniques would be appreciated,

thanks in anticipation,

David

Evergreen hedge for a cold garden Julian200 Gardening 1 10-10-2010 05:49 PM
Advice in Starting Evergreen Privacy Hedge - Zone 5 - WI Spitz Mcgee Gardening 13 27-04-2005 01:54 PM
"Evergreen" Pulmonaria not truly evergreen in warm latitudes? LanscpHort Gardening 3 29-02-2004 02:42 PM
Evergreen Companion Hedge CG Roses 4 19-04-2003 05:08 AM
Evergreen Maxi Spreader and Evergreen weed and feed. Steve S United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 08:32 PM