Old 14-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Martin Sykes

Default OT - Early birds

We've just had our first ever blackcap in the garden, feeding on the fat
balls. My book says they're usually not seen until April and even then
usually in the south so it must be pretty unusual up here in Cheshire.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 14-02-2005, 11:10 AM
David

We've had blackcaps in East Lothian for about a month now even though the
books do suggest that they frequent more southerly climes! I can't remember
if this is early or not for them, but I do notice them each year. I also
noticed yesterday for the first time in many years, a tree creeper running
around my cherry tree. Must be something to do with the daffodils being in
bloom early here!

regards

David

Old 14-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Martin Sykes wrote:
We've just had our first ever blackcap in the garden, feeding on the
fat balls. My book says they're usually not seen until April and even
then usually in the south so it must be pretty unusual up here in
Cheshire.

We had one here (South Bucks) on Big Birdwatch weekend (29th Jan). What I'd
really love to see is a house sparrow - they've been absent from my garden
for nearly eight years now. We do have plenty of thrushes (both species) and
they're on the endangered list - and all three species of woodpecker are
also frequent visitors (ditto). Being as we are in the Chilterns, we also
get the occasional red kite flying overhead. All in all, that weekend, I
must have counted at least 16 species, including four species of tit (blue,
great, long-tailed and coal), three species of woodpecker, three species of
finch (green, chaff and gold), warbler (blackcap) three species of
dove/pigeon (collared, wood and rock), robin, wren, dunnock, fieldfare
(though that was in the field over the road) jay, jackdaw, magpie, nuthatch
and a heron sweeping the pond for early frogs. OK, that's 23. Oh and a pied
wagtail (that's 24). We used to get grey wagtails here in the winter, but
I've not seen any for many a year. My grandfather (in Little Waltham) has
them most years (but then he has 2 acres of garden and it backs open
country).
on salads.

Old 14-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Martin Sykes

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Martin Sykes wrote:
[...]

I'm often amazed by the claim that sparrows are in decline. We have dozens
of them here - more than anything else. Apart from the usual suspects, we've
had long-tailed tits, blackcap, a goldcrest and a merlin this year ( the
latter contributing to the reported decline in the sparrow population )

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 14-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Dave Poole

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:15:09 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

I'm often amazed by the claim that sparrows are in decline. We have dozens
of them here - more than anything else.

When I first moved to this part of Torquay, there was a cheery
population of sparrows here in the village. mostly, they congregated
around the local pub at the top of the road. They disappeared about
12 years ago and I've not seen another sparrow in Torquay itself
since. I understand there is still a resident population in the
grounds of Paignton Zoo, but that's about the closest to here. I
haven't seen a starling for donkey's years either - two of what were
once the most common of birds, now all but locally extinct :-(

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 14-02-2005, 09:39 PM
annet planten

http://www.bto.org/birdtrack/recordi...g_warblers.htm

regards, Annet
-
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Have an amazing day!
Old 14-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Franz Heymann

Martin Sykes wrote:
[...]

We have a group of about 12 which batten daily on our hospitality, for
which we are thankful.

Franz

Old 14-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Klara

In message , Dave Poole
writes
When I first moved to this part of Torquay, there was a cheery
population of sparrows here in the village. mostly, they congregated
around the local pub at the top of the road. They disappeared about 12
years ago and I've not seen another sparrow in Torquay itself since. I
understand there is still a resident population in the grounds of
Paignton Zoo, but that's about the closest to here. I haven't seen a
starling for donkey's years either - two of what were once the most
common of birds, now all but locally extinct :-(

Hundreds of both here when we moved here nearly 35 years ago; both
disappeared about ten years ago, but just in the last two years a few
have appeared again on the bird table, though never stayed to nest.
Haven't heard a cuckoo either for about a decade. Lots of tits of all
kinds seem to have taken their place, but I miss the street urchins and
the pearly kings and queens and the harbingers of spring :-((

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 15-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Martin Sykes wrote:
[...]

What - house sparrows? Whereabouts are you? They're sparse here in the SE, I
know that.
on salads.

Old 15-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick wrote:

What - house sparrows? Whereabouts are you? They're sparse here in the SE, I
know that.

Funny. I live in wretchedly urban Coldharbour Lane, in Brixton. Small
garden full of house sparrows, who nest here every year.

Remover the rock from the email address

Old 15-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Lazarus Cooke wrote:
In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick wrote:

What - house sparrows? Whereabouts are you? They're sparse here in
the SE, I know that.

Funny. I live in wretchedly urban Coldharbour Lane, in Brixton. Small
garden full of house sparrows, who nest here every year.

Localised flock. ;o)
on salads.

Old 16-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Registered User

We have Sparrows up here (West Central Scotland), and too does it surprise me to learn that they are 'scarce'.

We have the usual suspects, such as blue, coal and great tit, green and gold finches, siskins, and various others.
__________________
Well use it to fertilise the Christmas trees then.
I have a feeling the market is going to peak sometime next January.
Old 16-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Martin Sykes

"annet planten" wrote in message
news
http://www.bto.org/birdtrack/recordi...g_warblers.htm

regards, Annet
-
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Have an amazing day!

Thanks Annet, I signed up and will be recording the birds I see for the
duration.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 16-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Richard Brooks

Martin Sykes wrote:
We've just had our first ever blackcap in the garden, feeding on the
fat balls. My book says they're usually not seen until April and even
then usually in the south so it must be pretty unusual up here in
Cheshire.

We had one here (South Bucks) on Big Birdwatch weekend (29th Jan).
What I'd really love to see is a house sparrow - they've been absent
from my garden for nearly eight years now.

[snipped]

How good are you with a ladder ?

The London Wildlife Trust have a folder entitled 'Wildlife Gardening' and
there is a basic design for a house sparrow box. It's a communal affair and
I'm sure it can be made even longer for a larger community.

If you like I could try sending the scan to a binaries group for you to look
at. Personally I think that builders should have uPVC recesses designed
into the cladding.

Richard.

Old 16-02-2005, 12:13 PM
David

Like others, I too am surprised that sparrows are in decline, we have dozens
in our garden! Similarly for starlings, although they aren't here in the
usual "hundreds" but rather "dozens"!

regards,

David

East Lothian