Old 20-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Paul

Default Berberis darwinii regrowth after pruning

Can anyone give me some advice on my Berberis Darwinii please? We've just
had some building work done and some of the plants had to be cut back
radically (to about half their height, no leaves left) to allow access. This
was back in mid-December.

Now our building work is nearing completion, I'm wondering whether they will
recover or whether I need to start again.

Does anyone know if these plants can recover from such a savage cutting
back?

TIA for any advice, Paul

Old 20-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Paul wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice on my Berberis Darwinii please? We've just
had some building work done and some of the plants had to be cut back
radically (to about half their height, no leaves left) to allow access. This
was back in mid-December.

You won't get any flower this year, but I should be surprised if
the plants were too badly affected. Some people use it as a hedging
plant. If I were you, I would give them a chance, and replace them
this autumn if they didn't respond by making plenty of shoots.

But that isn't based on experience with B. Darwinii, just a general
idea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Colin Jacobs

Just moved some today & cut back the tips to make them bushy. This might be
worth doing to promote new growth.
CJ
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Paul wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice on my Berberis Darwinii please? We've just
had some building work done and some of the plants had to be cut back
radically (to about half their height, no leaves left) to allow access.

This
was back in mid-December.

You won't get any flower this year, but I should be surprised if
the plants were too badly affected. Some people use it as a hedging
plant. If I were you, I would give them a chance, and replace them
this autumn if they didn't respond by making plenty of shoots.

But that isn't based on experience with B. Darwinii, just a general
idea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

regrowth of barberry [email protected] Gardening 0 07-10-2005 09:22 PM
Scale regrowth Gary Ponds 8 01-02-2005 02:37 PM
Preventing regrowth of horsetails. Mike United Kingdom 111 11-03-2004 09:04 PM
Preventing regrowth of horsetails. Mike United Kingdom 0 02-03-2004 04:15 AM
Squash regrowth Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 2 08-09-2003 04:32 PM