Old 23-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Tim Tyler writes

Whilst on the subject what is the difference between ordinary and
horticultural grade glass? Some greenhouses have shatter proof glass
which is useful but what is H grade stuff? Does it have flaws in it so
can't be used for domestic buildings?

Janet
(who is looking at the Alitex web site but affording probably one from
Robinsons)

p.s. What benefits does a low brick wall instead of glass have, around
the base of the greenhouse? Won't that make the inside a bit gloomy and
damp? Is it better? Do I want it?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Hort grade glass is thinner (normally 3mm) standard window glass starts at
4mm and goes up according to size of window (bigger areas need thicker
glass). Hort grade glass is used because its cheaper as it contains less
glass, it is however more prone to breakage.
safety glass is a lot more expensive but of course essential if small
children are running around near a greenhouse, it should in my view always
be used for glass conservatory roofs as ordinary glass is quite dangerous
(last year a jackdaw dropped an old meat bone which came straight through
the greenhouse showering me with glass!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 23-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Alan Gabriel
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

I believe that from September new builds will not be able to have
chimneys. How sad, after all wood is a sustainable fuel.

That wouldn't burn though would it? I meant that you can grow more trees
and add a bit to the environment whilst they are growing. Once cut down
more trees can be replanted. I love my mutifuel Hunter and would hate to
have to make do with radiators or a holographic real fire look alike!
The fire keeps the whole side of our house warm to touch unlike a
radiator and can be used during power cuts and so on.
What next? a ban on Agas?

Are you sure about the original information? I can't find anything on
proposed changes to Building Regs which would outlaw chimneys. Are you
sure this isn't a reporter combining misunderstanding and creative
imagination to further an argument?

--
Kay

I too think its unlikely as both oil and gas need a flue of some sort. It
was probably the same guy who just built an estate in our village with no
chimneys, when someone commented on what were these people supposed to do
for a fire he said rather sniffly that his were "modern houses" and would
have
gas central heating, no one had the heart to tell him there is no gas here
:~) (they can not get the gas tanker close enough to use a tank system and
all
have now been re done for electric, so now someone else gets the smoke from
the power station)