Old 21-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default greenhouse recommendations

Noticing our Alton cedar greenhouse was distinctly sagging in the middle
and there was a good deal of rotting showing through along the side
beams, we thought about getting a new greenhouse last year. Couldn't
seem to find one we really liked or if liked ... could afford (e.g.
Alitex!) However clearing it out the other day for the arrival of new
plunge bench and soil cable I noticed rotting along the wood touching
the foundations, so I guess we'd better start thinking again.

The greenhouse is near the kitchen door/window and at the moment doesn't
get heated, we have room for at least a 10 x 8.

Anyone got any experience with choosing greenhouses and what not to get
or what to opt for?

If I can't have cedar then I'll go for green as I couldn't stand the
aluminium look so near the house.

One consideration that we never found much info about was whether to go
for double glazing, would this cut down the cost of heating? Eden do a
cheap range with poly carbonate glazing that's twin walled but not sure
if that would be a good option to go for. If double glazing is so good
how come many of the manufacturers don't offer it?

Is 25 years a good age for a cedar one? We did treat it every other year
and clean it etc but the design does allow water to rest on the wood so
not sure I'd go for this Dutch light one again. Roof glass rests on
horizontal strips of wood which have been the first to show rotting,
presumably because the water runs off the glass onto the wood.

All advice gratefully received.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

One consideration that we never found much info about was whether to go
for double glazing, would this cut down the cost of heating?

Yes, it would, if you are heating it significantly in the winter.

Eden do a
cheap range with poly carbonate glazing that's twin walled but not sure
if that would be a good option to go for. If double glazing is so good
how come many of the manufacturers don't offer it?

Because most gardeners don't heat their greenhouses through the winter?
It's only cactus growers and similar who tend to heat their greenhouses
significantly (i.e. maintaining a temperature of 40 deg F or
thereabouts) as opposed to merely maintaining it frost-free.

--
Kay

Old 21-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

[...]

Several of the well known greenhouse firms do aluminium sections stove
coated with paint (it bonds to the metal) you can get white and sometimes
green, I replaced what was left of a Victorian lean to with a kit in white,
doesn't look too awful but was more expensive than an off the peg job (I
don't think that particular firm is still trading) Try Robinsons, that will
give you some idea on price.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Janet Tweedy wrote:
[...]

Hi Janet,

My father's on his second Alton (the first lasted nearly 30 years!) and he
chose the model identical to the first. His is the Traditional, with double
glazing and staging on one side. If it was me, I'd go for another Alton (25
years is a fair age). Alton (as you probably know) do two lean-tos. If you
want to see them in the 'flesh' then the nearest stockist (according to
Alton's website www.alton-greenhouses.co.uk) is Wyevale's in Beaconsfield (I
assume you know, on the London Road?) I believe there is a 10'x8' lean-to.

He just has a cheap aluminium attached to the side of the 'garage' (read
junk storage container) - but it's enough for toms, peppers and cucumbers.

He also grows trailing cherry toms in an old barrow. I don't know what they
were last year, but they were the sweetest and juiciest I've ever eaten -
there weren't many left when they were needed for a salad!

on salads.

Old 21-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes

If double glazing is so good
how come many of the manufacturers don't offer it?

Because most gardeners don't heat their greenhouses through the winter?
It's only cactus growers and similar who tend to heat their greenhouses
significantly (i.e. maintaining a temperature of 40 deg F or
thereabouts) as opposed to merely maintaining it frost-free.

But surely if it's cheaper then even a cold greenhouse would benefit
from double glazing, you might get away with no heating at all.

Old 21-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Miss
Perspicacia Tick writes

If it was me, I'd go for another Alton (25
years is a fair age). Alton (as you probably know) do two lean-tos. If you
want to see them in the 'flesh' then the nearest stockist (according to
Alton's website www.alton-greenhouses.co.uk) is Wyevale's in Beaconsfield (I
assume you know, on the London Road?) I believe there is a 10'x8' lean-to.

Oh dear not the dreaded Wyevales garden centre. Not sure any of the
staff I've ever met there would know lot about plants Got some cheap
books and seeds there but wouldn't rate the plants , though maybe
they've changed since last year?

Will look at lean to's but my greenhouse is about 10 foot away from the
utility room wall
photo here
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk/plan...ry/history.htm

He just has a cheap aluminium attached to the side of the 'garage' (read
junk storage container) - but it's enough for toms, peppers and cucumbers.

He also grows trailing cherry toms in an old barrow. I don't know what they
were last year, but they were the sweetest and juiciest I've ever eaten -
there weren't many left when they were needed for a salad!

Know what you mean, I hardly eve have any left of mine because I prefer
the unripe ones and Tom likes soft mushy ripe ones so he never gets
any

janet
Old 22-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Tim Tyler

Janet Tweedy wrote or quoted:
In article , Kay
writes

If double glazing is so good
how come many of the manufacturers don't offer it?

Because most gardeners don't heat their greenhouses through the winter?
It's only cactus growers and similar who tend to heat their greenhouses
significantly (i.e. maintaining a temperature of 40 deg F or
thereabouts) as opposed to merely maintaining it frost-free.

But surely if it's cheaper then even a cold greenhouse would benefit
from double glazing, you might get away with no heating at all.

I would expect that double-glazing a glass greenhouse would almost
double its initial cost.

If demand is not large, it is no suprise that there are
few manufacturers catering to the demand for double-glazed
structures.
--
__________
Old 22-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay
writes

If double glazing is so good
how come many of the manufacturers don't offer it?

Because most gardeners don't heat their greenhouses through the winter?
It's only cactus growers and similar who tend to heat their greenhouses
significantly (i.e. maintaining a temperature of 40 deg F or
thereabouts) as opposed to merely maintaining it frost-free.

But surely if it's cheaper then even a cold greenhouse would benefit
from double glazing, you might get away with no heating at all.

A lot of greenhouses are left empty for a considerable part of the
winter, so it doesn't matter how cold they get.

If you have no heating, then the temperature inside the greenhouse
depends on heat from the sun during the day. I'm not sure how the
heating up of the greenhouse in the daytime is affected by double
glazing.

If you're heating a bit, then you need to balance the saving in heating
costs because of double glazing against the extra costs of having tht
double glazing.

Of course, it might just be that we're a bit slow at getting round to
double glazing in this country - look how many of our older homes either
have no double glazing at all or 'partial secondary double glazing'. If
we haven't got there with our homes (OK I know new homes are now almost
always built with double glazing), how much longer is it going to take
us with our greenhouses?
--
Kay

Old 22-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes

Of course, it might just be that we're a bit slow at getting round to
double glazing in this country - look how many of our older homes either
have no double glazing at all or 'partial secondary double glazing'. If
we haven't got there with our homes (OK I know new homes are now almost
always built with double glazing), how much longer is it going to take
us with our greenhouses?

I believe that from September new builds will not be able to have
chimneys. How sad, after all wood is a sustainable fuel.

janet
Old 23-02-2005, 02:06 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

I believe that from September new builds will not be able to have
chimneys. How sad, after all wood is a sustainable fuel.

How on earth did you work that out?

In the '70's I cut down a dead Elm tree that was at least 50 years old and
the logs lasted me one winter.

To be sustainable, every garden, field, plain and mountainside would need to
be planted up with Leylandii ;o)

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 23-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Alan Gabriel
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

I believe that from September new builds will not be able to have
chimneys. How sad, after all wood is a sustainable fuel.

How on earth did you work that out?

In the '70's I cut down a dead Elm tree that was at least 50 years old and
the logs lasted me one winter.

To be sustainable, every garden, field, plain and mountainside would need to
be planted up with Leylandii ;o)

--
Regards,
Alan.

That wouldn't burn though would it? I meant that you can grow more trees
and add a bit to the environment whilst they are growing. Once cut down
more trees can be replanted. I love my mutifuel Hunter and would hate to
have to make do with radiators or a holographic real fire look alike!
The fire keeps the whole side of our house warm to touch unlike a
radiator and can be used during power cuts and so on.
What next? a ban on Agas?

Old 23-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Tim Tyler writes

If demand is not large, it is no suprise that there are
few manufacturers catering to the demand for double-glazed
structures.

But you can't demand what's not available!
It would mean burning less heating appliances to keep the greenhouse
even frost free.
If they double glaze conservatories as a matter of course why not even
offer double glazing on greenhouses?

Whilst on the subject what is the difference between ordinary and
horticultural grade glass? Some greenhouses have shatter proof glass
which is useful but what is H grade stuff? Does it have flaws in it so
can't be used for domestic buildings?

Janet
(who is looking at the Alitex web site but affording probably one from
Robinsons)

p.s. What benefits does a low brick wall instead of glass have, around
the base of the greenhouse? Won't that make the inside a bit gloomy and
damp? Is it better? Do I want it?
Old 23-02-2005, 11:52 AM
ex WGS Hamm

[...]

build one? I have always fancied one of those with a brick wall , then
glass on top of that.

Old 23-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

Janet
(who is looking at the Alitex web site but affording probably one from
Robinsons)

I have a Robinsons aluminium greenhouse which is brilliant and very
sturdily made. Cross struts strong enough to support hanging baskets,
sliding doors work well without jamming, structure doesn't flex in high
winds. Bought it 1991. Don't know what their wooden stuff is like.

p.s. What benefits does a low brick wall instead of glass have, around
the base of the greenhouse?

1) better heat insulation without loss of important light (unless you
are growing things under shelves
2) difficult to get a good waterproof seal at base of greenhouse so at
least one row of bricks is useful.

Won't that make the inside a bit gloomy and
damp?

I'd have thought it would make it dryer if anything. Loss of light that
low down won't make things gloomy. If you're using the under shelf area
for storage, then a break-proof wall is useful

Is it better?

Depends on your requirements!

Do I want it?

Apparently not, from the way you phrase the question ;-)
--
Kay

Old 23-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Alan Gabriel
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

I believe that from September new builds will not be able to have
chimneys. How sad, after all wood is a sustainable fuel.

That wouldn't burn though would it? I meant that you can grow more trees
and add a bit to the environment whilst they are growing. Once cut down
more trees can be replanted. I love my mutifuel Hunter and would hate to
have to make do with radiators or a holographic real fire look alike!
The fire keeps the whole side of our house warm to touch unlike a
radiator and can be used during power cuts and so on.
What next? a ban on Agas?

Are you sure about the original information? I can't find anything on
proposed changes to Building Regs which would outlaw chimneys. Are you
sure this isn't a reporter combining misunderstanding and creative
imagination to further an argument?

--
Kay