Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default greenhouse recommendations

Noticing our Alton cedar greenhouse was distinctly sagging in the middle
and there was a good deal of rotting showing through along the side
beams, we thought about getting a new greenhouse last year. Couldn't
seem to find one we really liked or if liked ... could afford (e.g.
Alitex!) However clearing it out the other day for the arrival of new
plunge bench and soil cable I noticed rotting along the wood touching
the foundations, so I guess we'd better start thinking again.

The greenhouse is near the kitchen door/window and at the moment doesn't
get heated, we have room for at least a 10 x 8.

Anyone got any experience with choosing greenhouses and what not to get
or what to opt for?

If I can't have cedar then I'll go for green as I couldn't stand the
aluminium look so near the house.

One consideration that we never found much info about was whether to go
for double glazing, would this cut down the cost of heating? Eden do a
cheap range with poly carbonate glazing that's twin walled but not sure
if that would be a good option to go for. If double glazing is so good
how come many of the manufacturers don't offer it?

Is 25 years a good age for a cedar one? We did treat it every other year
and clean it etc but the design does allow water to rest on the wood so
not sure I'd go for this Dutch light one again. Roof glass rests on
horizontal strips of wood which have been the first to show rotting,
presumably because the water runs off the glass onto the wood.

All advice gratefully received.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy