Old 26-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Colin Jacobs

Default Escallonias

Anyone had experience with Escallonias? How do you propagate them & prune
them please.

CJ

Old 27-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Colin Jacobs

Thanks. Because we are making a screen between two caravans on a east coast
site I want to make sure that they will thicken up ok & still keep them to a
height of 1m. Buy cutting all the tips back will it bush up from the base?
CJ
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Colin Jacobs" contains these words:

Anyone had experience with Escallonias? How do you propagate them &

prune
them please.

Propagation is very easy by summer cuttings of semi-ripe wood, or
layering low branches still attached to the plant.

Pruning...they can take any amount of it so make a lovely hedge plant.
Even if you hack them right back to bare trunks, they will regrow.

To my eye, among the reds and pinks some forms, flowers and shades are
much more attractive than others, so it's one of those plants it's worth
buying in flower to make sure you get one you like; especially if you're
going to propagate a lot more. For the flowers and a tight clipped
shape, I particularly like a small-leafed pink-and-white flowered one
called Appleblossom. But I grow another one with larger leaves and not
very good red flowers, just because its leaves have the spiciest smell
of all. Got it as a cutting so I don't know the name.

Janet.