Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Caernarfon
Post Pruning Escallonias

With my new home in North Wales I have acquired an escallonia, of the apple blossom variety. It is a beautiful bush and is still in bloom, having started to blossom around 5 weeks ago.
Last year I cut it back as it was quite tall, broad, and unruly! As I didn't know how to do this, I just cut it back to a nice round shape. It stands on its own in the middle of my garden and is a haven for many species of garden birds.
I read somewhere that it should be pruned to a "pyramid" shape. Is this necessary as I am not certain that my non-artistic character could cope? Am I right in assuming that I should wait until all the flowers are finished? I just want to keep it neat and tidy, enjoy it, and keep it as a haven for the birds!
Thank you
Nora
Old 07-08-2007, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning Escallonias

On 7/8/07 13:31, in article , "Nora
Jones" wrote:

With my new home in North Wales I have acquired an escallonia, of the
apple blossom variety. It is a beautiful bush and is still in bloom,
having started to blossom around 5 weeks ago.
Last year I cut it back as it was quite tall, broad, and unruly! As I
didn't know how to do this, I just cut it back to a nice round shape.
It stands on its own in the middle of my garden and is a haven for many
species of garden birds.
I read somewhere that it should be pruned to a "pyramid" shape. Is
this necessary as I am not certain that my non-artistic character could
cope? Am I right in assuming that I should wait until all the flowers
are finished? I just want to keep it neat and tidy, enjoy it, and keep
it as a haven for the birds!
Thank you

I don't understand why anyone would think it *should* be pruned to a pyramid
shape. Many people use Escallonias a hedging and then it's just kept sort
of hedge-shaped! I should cut it just as you want it and enjoy it - it
sounds lovely. You can do the trimming after it's flowered or in mid-spring
before any flower buds form.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-08-2007, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/8/07 13:31, in article , "Nora
Jones" wrote:

[...]

I have Escallonias in some of the hedges here mixed with fuchsias, elder and
what I think is a type of privet, they all thrive and can be cut back to, as
you say, to "Hedge Shaped" or indeed any other shape or just left to grow
although they are all so vigourous they need cutting all too regularly
unless you want them to take over the garden. Nothing seems to kill them and
they are indeed full of birds nests ( my excuse for not cutting them early
in the year).

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
Festina lente

Old 07-08-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/8/07 15:52, in article ,
"Cerumen" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/8/07 13:31, in article , "Nora
Jones" wrote:

[...]

They're very rewarding plants because they're evergreen, they have lovely
flowers and bees go crazy about them. Is your type of 'privet' possibly the
Lonicera nitida we've been talking about elsewhere? If you do a Google
Image search you might find it's familiar.
I was thinking about Nora's remark that she'd read it should be trimmed to a
pyramid shape. I wonder if what was meant was the sort of thing that's done
to large hedges to reduce the weight of the top branches on the lower part
of the hedge so as to stop it from splaying in snow fall and to allow light
to get to the bottom of the hedge so that it doesn't get leggy and spindly.
Then, it's cut as a sort of wedge, narrower on top than at the bottom.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

With my new home in North Wales I have acquired an escallonia, of the
apple blossom variety. It is a beautiful bush and is still in bloom,
having started to blossom around 5 weeks ago.
Last year I cut it back as it was quite tall, broad, and unruly! As I
didn't know how to do this, I just cut it back to a nice round shape.
It stands on its own in the middle of my garden and is a haven for many
species of garden birds.
I read somewhere that it should be pruned to a "pyramid" shape. Is
this necessary as I am not certain that my non-artistic character could
cope? Am I right in assuming that I should wait until all the flowers
are finished? I just want to keep it neat and tidy, enjoy it, and keep
it as a haven for the birds!

You prune it whatever shape you feel like, I get very annoyed when people
you ` should ` do this that or the other, I also get cross when people say `
you must understand ` usually peeps on t.v. trying to talk themselves out of
bother. you go ahead and play :-)

kate

Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 7/8/07 15:52, in article ,
"Cerumen" wrote:
I have Escallonias in some of the hedges here mixed with fuchsias, elder
and
what I think is a type of privet,

They're very rewarding plants because they're evergreen, they have lovely
flowers and bees go crazy about them. Is your type of 'privet' possibly
the
Lonicera nitida we've been talking about elsewhere? If you do a Google
Image search you might find it's familiar.

It could be although I'm not sure as there is no picture in my RHS
encyclopedia but having read the description with a sprig alongside me the
flowers although creamy white are smaller and it's in flower now rather than
spring and also at the growing end as well as from the leaf base. I'll try
google for an image later when I'm online.
It may have flowered in spring as well, I never pay much attention.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.
'I realised I was dyslexic after attending a toga party dressed as a goat'