Old 03-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Warwick

Default What is it?

Near to us there's a reasonably new "environmental centre" and country
park. All of the planting is native, but a touch immature at the moment.
The visitor centre is built to be as environmentally friendly as
possible and in the park they're encouraging wildflower meadows.

I dare say in 20 years time it'll start to look fantastic, but until
then there aren't many tree over 8 feet high. When we were wandering
round with the dog a couple of weeks ago, I caught sight of a stand of
rather beautiful trees. The bark is gorgeous and striking. I'm afraid
none of the proper wardens were on duty so I couldn't get an answer at
the centre as to the species so I'm begging for help here. I'm also
afraid that I wasn't carrying my camera and had to resort to the one
built in to the phobile.

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/album/2005/02-
February/slides/Image026.html

and

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/album/2005/02-
February/slides/Image027.html

Any ideas? If so, what size in what time and will it be a suitable tree
for a smallish (50'x30') garden with a gap for a single tree?

Warwick
Old 03-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Flora

Warwick wrote:

I caught sight of a stand of
rather beautiful trees. The bark is gorgeous and striking. I'm afraid
none of the proper wardens were on duty so I couldn't get an answer at
the centre as to the species so I'm begging for help here. I'm also
afraid that I wasn't carrying my camera and had to resort to the one
built in to the phobile.

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/album/2005/02-
February/slides/Image026.html

and

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/album/2005/02-
February/slides/Image027.html

Any ideas? If so, what size in what time and will it be a suitable tree
for a smallish (50'x30') garden with a gap for a single tree?

Warwick

Acer pennsylvanicum 'Erythrocladum'

Its a difficult treee to grow to any size.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
Warwick wrote:

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/album/2005/02-
February/slides/Image027.html

Any ideas? If so, what size in what time and will it be a suitable tree
for a smallish (50'x30') garden with a gap for a single tree?

Warwick

Acer pennsylvanicum 'Erythrocladum'

Its a difficult treee to grow to any size.

Thank you very much. That seem to be spot on.

Unfortunately, your additional comment also appears to be true and this
is reflected in the price from nurseries. I'd also be a bit wary of
planting something that expensive in our heavy clay and I don't think
it'd look right in a planter.

Now, of course, I'm wondering how the 18,000 native trees tallies with
what appears to be a patch of American Acers and as they're expensive
and difficult to get to any size, why they've spent the money?

Warwick