Old 16-03-2005, 09:52 AM
SusieThompson

Default Siting our new greenhouse - options?

We're buying a 6x10 greenhouse for our new garden. We have chosen a
model which should stand up to the weather - we had one from the same
manufacturers in an exposed garden in West Cornwall, which did pretty
well.

We can site it facing one of two directions, either NE-SW or SE-NW.

If it faces NE-SW it will be long side on into the prevailing
breezes/winds/gales, which up here on the western side of the Isle of
Arran can really be quite something at times. The greenhouse door will
face towards the house, and be sheltered.

If we place it NW-SE, then it will be gable/door-end into the wind and
the long sides will be more protected.

We will get sun right through the day whichever direction we finally
choose. I know that the books say that it should be due north/south, but
this is impossible with our small garden.

We have to make our minds up well before the greenhouse arrives because
we need to move some plants. What do you think will be the better
option?
Thanks
Susie Thompson
--
Susie Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to
Old 16-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Charlie Pridham

"SusieThompson" wrote in message
[...]

Where I have had glass damage due to gales it has always been on the gable
ends never on the sides so I would put it side to worst weather.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-03-2005, 06:50 PM
SusieThompson

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

Where I have had glass damage due to gales it has always been on the gable
ends never on the sides so I would put it side to worst weather.

Thanks Charlie. I'm sure that this is going to be the best way of
siting the greenhouse, both from the weather side of things and also
making best use of the limited space we have.

Susie Thompson
--
Susie Thompson, Isle of Arran