Old 27-04-2004, 12:09 PM
The Grate Denini

Default Siting Greenhouse

After all the advice I received about plastic or glass greenhouse..we have
gone for a glass one.
Can someone advise on putting it in place.I have a plot so I`m going to have
to level it off first.I cannot put any cement or anything down so was
thinking of paving flags or something.
Usage will be mostly Toms etc and a bit of pottering about.Growbags,I`m
assuming would be the easiest.
Any thought appreciated.
Thank you.
den

--
The Grate Denini. 3rd Earl of Harte le Pool

Old 27-04-2004, 03:08 PM
D Russell

"The Grate Denini" wrote in message
After all the advice I received about plastic or glass greenhouse..we have
gone for a glass one.
Can someone advise on putting it in place.I have a plot so I`m going to

have
to level it off first.I cannot put any cement or anything down so was
thinking of paving flags or something.
Usage will be mostly Toms etc and a bit of pottering about.Growbags,I`m
assuming would be the easiest.
Any thought appreciated.
Thank you.
den

--
The Grate Denini. 3rd Earl of Harte le Pool

I stuck mine up on a pair of untreate railway sleepers, give an extra 18
inches of head height, add a massive amount of weight=stability to the
greenhouse, you can simply screw directly through the aluminium frame into
the wood. Then I simply built up the ends with more wood.

Seems to be working great, allows you to build a raised bed inside the
greenhouse as well, which is excellent for extra root depth.

Pair of untreated sleepers was about £60 inc delivery, but I needed some
friends round to shift them.

Duncan

Old 27-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Tim Nicholson

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:34:54 +0100, "D Russell"
wrote:

I stuck mine up on a pair of untreate railway sleepers, give an extra 18
inches of head height, add a massive amount of weight=stability to the
greenhouse, you can simply screw directly through the aluminium frame into
the wood. Then I simply built up the ends with more wood.

Seems to be working great, allows you to build a raised bed inside the
greenhouse as well, which is excellent for extra root depth.

I second this approach.....(as it's near enough exactly what I did
earlier this year). Just levelled the ground where the sleepers were
going to lie, put an anti-weed mat over the rest, and covered with 3
inches or so of gravel. All works a treat. And it's easy enough to
plant through the mat if you want something permanent, such as a grape
vine.

Good luck in any event.

Tim (remove the spamtrap to reply)
Old 27-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Bob Hobden

Den wrote in message
After all the advice I received about plastic or glass greenhouse..we have
gone for a glass one.
Can someone advise on putting it in place.I have a plot so I`m going to

have
to level it off first.I cannot put any cement or anything down so was
thinking of paving flags or something.
Usage will be mostly Toms etc and a bit of pottering about.Growbags,I`m
assuming would be the easiest.
Any thought appreciated.

All I have to say is don't put it near your Southern boundary because if you
do and your neighbour on that side plants a Leylandii hedge and lets it just
grow you will end up with a very dark greenhouse. Seen it!

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 28-04-2004, 08:07 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

All I have to say is don't put it near your Southern boundary because if you
do and your neighbour on that side plants a Leylandii hedge and lets it just
grow you will end up with a very dark greenhouse. Seen it!

Greenhouses are not beautiful things. Putting it near any boundary is
going to detract from your neighbour's garden, unless they already have
a high fence or hedge.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 28-04-2004, 10:16 AM
The Grate Denini

Ha! Our nearset neighbour is about 3/4mile away.However---I know the actual
siting of the greenhouse probably isn`t the best--but am restricted to
putting it within this smallish plot.There are mature trees (proper trees!!)
about which stop early sun and I`ll lose some late afternon sun--but so
what!! I`ll still enjoy it wont I.
Onto the sleepers.... am I picturing 2 sleepers along the long sides? Or are
they cut and the greenhouse sits on a square of them sort of?
Any pictures?
den
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Bob Hobden