Old 20-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Mike

Default Slightly OT. Building permission. Long

Following my posting about stopping building taking place, I have had a
couple of very friendly emails with a couple of people wanting to stop
building development taking place.

In each case, the prime reason was 'it will spoil our views'. Please note
PRIME. They asked my advice on how to stop the proposed developments. As I
had won my cases, they assumed that there was something 'magic' which they
could use. No, but 'yes'. You would have observed in each case I fought,
there was a 'sting in the tail' which meant that if, in my case the Isle of
Wight County Council in two cases and the Gas Board in the other, they
ignored my warning, then the people more than likely affected, would sue
said organisations. (With the Gas Board it was a big bang if they didn't
take notice!! Have you ever know the Gas Board to close a road and replace a
whole Gas Main within 7 days of saying there was no money:-))))).

If there is not a potential flooding, or road danger likelihood, then you
must make sure you own the access to a development and slap a covenant on it
and make sure it is registered to the benefit of umpty dozen people.
My garden when I lived in the midlands was houselocked by 28 properties.
Just ONE house had sufficient side garden to drive a road through the main
area of about half an acre. When that house came onto the market, my Bank
Manager gave me a 100% overdraft facility to buy it. I did, got planning
permission, sold the house without the side garden and the land was built
on. The neighbours protested, appealed, it went to London and was thrown
out. "They could have bought the house and slapped a covenant on the side
garden never to be used as a road access to the land behind "And was for the
benefit to the people of XXXX Road, YYYY Street etc""

I have posted this here because many people have 'neighbour', 'land',
'view', 'flooding' and all sorts of problems. I am more than willing to give
advice, BUT, I cannot fight the case for you. I am not a Solicitor, I just
use common sense and think of who is going to suffer. In the very first
instance I got involved, the two families and the way the flooding upset
them and the children. Drying out socks and toys. Giving them a meal because
their kitchens were out of action etc.

Long. Not Gardening to 100%.

Ready for the net nannies.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past