Old 26-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Mike Fitzpatrick

Default Milky / Cloudy water in pond

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question but I can't find one
just for ponds, and you are a helpful bunch on here anyway. We have a small
natural pond which has turned over the last fortnight milky the water that
is, it is full of frog spawn 3 buckets to the local pond. Is this milky-ness
a product of Mr Frog or some thing else? will it sort itself out, will it
hurt the 6 fish (only goldfish but the wife looks after them). any advise as
help please.
Thanks Mike

Old 30-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Brian Watson

"Magwitch" wrote in message

It could be caused by hibernating beasties waking up, and stirring the mud
up, or possibly because we've had a couple of visits from a heron and
perhaps the fish are fighting a rearguard action... very clever of them

Depending on the area affected, it may be bird poo.

A big bird dropping a "wet one" (I know; they are *all* wet ones, but it is
a matter of degree) into a small pond can cause a widespread splash effect
that dissipates quite quickly.

--
Brian
"Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."

Old 31-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Magwitch

Mike Fitzpatrick muttered:

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question but I can't find one
just for ponds, and you are a helpful bunch on here anyway. We have a small
natural pond which has turned over the last fortnight milky the water that
is, it is full of frog spawn 3 buckets to the local pond. Is this milky-ness
a product of Mr Frog or some thing else? will it sort itself out, will it
hurt the 6 fish (only goldfish but the wife looks after them). any advise as
help please.
Thanks Mike

I'm not sure why either... ours is milky as well at present and then
literally overnight completely clear again. This doesn't seem to affect the
pond life, as later on ‹ it's teeming with dragonflies, newts, snails and
fish etc.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Magwitch

Brian Watson muttered:

"Magwitch" wrote in message

It could be caused by hibernating beasties waking up, and stirring the mud
up, or possibly because we've had a couple of visits from a heron and
perhaps the fish are fighting a rearguard action... very clever of them

Depending on the area affected, it may be bird poo.

A big bird dropping a "wet one" (I know; they are *all* wet ones, but it is
a matter of degree) into a small pond can cause a widespread splash effect
that dissipates quite quickly.

However, our pond's big ‹ a pterodactyl?

Cloudy Pond Water Roz Cawley United Kingdom 20 23-08-2003 03:03 PM
Cloudy pond water Roz Cawley Ponds 5 22-08-2003 03:02 PM
Cloudy Pond Water - Thanks Roz Cawley United Kingdom 0 22-08-2003 10:32 AM
Cloudy Pond Water Roz Cawley United Kingdom 1 22-08-2003 06:16 AM
Cloudy water after water change Victor M. Martinez Freshwater Aquaria Plants 18 20-07-2003 09:38 PM