Old 27-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Lobster

Default Lawn spiking gizmo

I have a very mossy lawn, which I gather needs (amongst other things) a
good working over with a fork to provide better drainage. I have
acquired a gadget which purports to perform this rather onerous task
with minimal effort - think it came from the mailorder firm Coopers or
somewhere?

It has two 6" wheels and a long handle, with lots of spikes on springs
attached to a 15"-wide frame which spans the wheels; the spikes prod the
ground to a depth of approx 2" as you roll this contraption along the
lawn. (It looks a bit like one of those old-fashioned manually-powered
cylinder mowers with no grass box.

Is this spiking deep enough to do any good, or are we talking chocolate
teapots here?

Thanks
David

Old 28-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Lobster wrote:
I have a very mossy lawn, which I gather needs (amongst other
things) a good working over with a fork to provide better

drainage.
I have acquired a gadget which purports to perform this rather
onerous task with minimal effort - think it came from the
mail-order firm Coopers or somewhere?

It has two 6" wheels and a long handle, with lots of spikes on
springs attached to a 15"-wide frame which spans the wheels; the
spikes prod the ground to a depth of approx 2" as you roll this
contraption along the lawn. (It looks a bit like one of those
old-fashioned manually-powered cylinder mowers with no grass box).

Is this spiking deep enough to do any good, or are we talking
chocolate teapots here?

I speculate about all this lawn-aeration business that most of the
time it won't make any difference, be the holes two inches or twenty
inches deep. A good population of earthworms and other friends --
and, indeed, some enemies -- will do the job. What punching holes in
the lawn _will_ do is let you brush in some sharp sand, which will
make the soil texture more open at root level, especially if you keep
it up for fifty years. Roots themselves do the same sort of thing as
they penetrate and get eaten.

I suspect the two-inch-prong machine may not make holes big enough in
diameter to get the sand in there. But it's bound to loosen things up
a bit after a season's family football or ferocious earth-flattening
love-making, so it can't be a bad thing. But absolutely no surface
treatment can help with poor underlying drainage.

--
Mike.

Old 28-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Mike

Lobster wrote:
I have a very mossy lawn, which I gather needs (amongst other things) a
good working over with a fork to provide better drainage.

Improved drainage will stop it becoming mossy again but you will need to
remove the moss first - either by scraping it off or with a moss killer and
then scraping it off :-(

Old 30-03-2005, 10:26 PM
pied piper

Lobster wrote:
[...]

slitting is better 2 inches is not deep enough and spiking at the same depth
will cause a pan and a root break leading to other problems.
Forget the idiotic idea of sharp or builders sand if u have a clay soil this
will make little diference as the soil particles will not combine.
spray with a moss killer scarify slit tine then brush some seed in and feed,

Old 01-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Registered User

I have finally come up with a spectacular idea which will, at a stroke, solve the problem of compacted lawns, not to mention instant slug disposal, general drainage and the tricky issue of glamour in the garden.

Are you ready?

My solution is.......stiletto wellies!

Form an orderly queue please people.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Chris S

"undergroundbob" wrote in message

I have finally come up with a spectacular idea which will, at a stroke,
solve the problem of compacted lawns, not to mention instant slug
disposal, general drainage and the tricky issue of glamour in the
garden.

Are you ready?

My solution is.......stiletto wellies!

Form an orderly queue please people.

--
undergroundbob

Are they patented?:-)

Chris S

Does spiking the lawn help? Duncan Munday Lawns 13 10-08-2011 09:47 PM
Lawn spiking. Does anyone know What & where we hire one from? tina United Kingdom 13 22-09-2006 04:20 PM
Oncidium spiking Tom R Orchids 3 21-03-2004 05:06 PM
Oncidium spiking Tom R Orchids 0 20-03-2004 11:15 PM
Oncidium spiking Tom R Orchids 0 20-03-2004 09:56 PM