Old 18-01-2003, 11:15 AM

Default germination

Hello,
I believe that some seeds can tolerate a bit of light as they
germinate, whereas others cannot. What happens to the
light-intolerant seeds that stops them from germinating?
Thank you,
Gerard McConnell

Old 18-01-2003, 11:54 AM
JennyC

wrote in message
Hello,
I believe that some seeds can tolerate a bit of light as they
germinate, whereas others cannot. What happens to the
light-intolerant seeds that stops them from germinating?
Thank you,
Gerard McConnell

Interesting question Gerard - I've wondered about it my self in the
past and your question prompted me to go a googling....... :~)

http://generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/...ght/light.html has :
4) seed germination in light requiring seeds
Some seeds will only germinate in the light, therefore sow on
surface to see sunlight.
a) sunlight and any white or red light causes germination; (causes
Pfr form to be present)
b) far red light inhibits germination (causes Pr form to be
present)

Which does not really answer your (or my) question.

Hopefully somebody else (Nick McC ??) might know the answer.........
Jenny

Old 19-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Rod

wrote in message
Hello,
I believe that some seeds can tolerate a bit of light as they
germinate, whereas others cannot. What happens to the
light-intolerant seeds that stops them from germinating?
Thank you,

Super seed germination guide at:
http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html
This is probably a good time and place to remind folks who haven't already
bookmarked it - I think it's based on the old Thompson & Morgan booklet.

Rod