Old 02-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Ant

Default How do I "nick" seeds.

Hi,

I recently bought some catnip seeds and the instructions say to nick the
seeds then soak them in hot water for 48 hours.

How do I nick them? They are very small seeds.

Also any general tips on growing catnip would be much appreciated (I'll be
growing them indoors)

Thanks

Thanks for any help

Old 02-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Noodle Doo

If they are large seeds it can be done wit a sharp gardening knife. I would
think that small ones could be rubbed between 2 sheets of medium grade
sandpaper.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Ant

"Noodle Doo" (spam) wrote in message
If they are large seeds it can be done wit a sharp gardening knife. I
would think that small ones could be rubbed between 2 sheets of medium
grade sandpaper.

Thanks, and how will I know when they are nicked enough?

Old 03-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Totty

Ant wrote:

Thanks, and how will I know when they are nicked enough?

They'll hold their hands up and shout "OK, Gov. I'ts a fair cop"

Jo
Who's been lurking for a couple od days but couldn't resist this one.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Noodle Doo

You don't it's a bit trial & error - providing you have broken the hard
shell enough to let the water in you have done the job.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:51 PM
JennyC

"Ant" wrote in message ...
"Noodle Doo" (spam) wrote in message
If they are large seeds it can be done wit a sharp gardening knife. I
would think that small ones could be rubbed between 2 sheets of medium
grade sandpaper.

Thanks, and how will I know when they are nicked enough?

I always wonder why we are told to do that...........it wouldn't happen in the
wild.
Anybody know why it's recommended?
Jenny

Old 04-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Ant

"Noodle Doo" (spam) wrote in message
You don't it's a bit trial & error - providing you have broken the hard
shell enough to let the water in you have done the job.

cheers!

Old 04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Registered User

I think it just speeds up the process by which moisture is allowed through to the seed so it can germinate. It would happen anyway (the hard seed coat would eventually soften or disintegrate by contact with moisture) but it could take months... or years. I started off two sets of canna seeds this year. The first batch I didn't chip - I just soaked them overnight. After 6 weeks, so far one of them has germinated. The other batch were started a couple of weeks ago, and I chipped these ones. Three have germinated already.